Organised by The London Film School
Seasoned directors rarely share secrets, especially in a field as competitive and ambitious as directing commercials. With this 2-day intensive bootcamp, you’ll learn how to direct commercials and branded content for broadcast and the web from award-winning director, Aasaf Ainapore (Cannes, AICP, the British Arrows).
Based around a series of highly practical exercises, you’ll get a broad overview of the commercials industry as well as a detailed understanding of the responsibilities of a director. This includes creating treatments, building your showreels, animatics, the pitch process and working to an agency brief.
Ideal for filmmakers, advertising creatives, producers, cinematographers, writers and anyone seriously considering a career as a commercials director.
While this is not a film-specific course, the workshop will cover a lot of film craft. This is a highly focused course that looks at how to approach filmmaking for commercials as a career and how you can succeed as a filmmaker in advertising.
- How to break in
- The 24 specialisms of commercials directors
- Choosing a production company that knows how to market and nurture your talent
- In depth feedback on your reel with advice on tailoring it towards getting you representation
- Spotting emerging trends and positioning yourself to take advantage of them
- How ad agencies choose directors
- Unique access to pitches by some of the world's best directors
- Pitching best practice
- Practical pitch assignments
Note: You'll be required to bring your reel or body of work as a link or on a usb drive at 720p resolution, as well as a laptop for practical exercises.