To support the resilience of Somerset House Trust by working as part of a small Development team to generate new income streams, primarily through brand partnerships and corporate membership. The Development Manager will be responsible for the account management of a number of key client relationships, especially in relation to Somerset House’s Corporate Membership programme. The Development Manager will also lead on growing and developing the Corporate Membership offer and partners. Alongside the Corporate Membership focus, the Development Manager will work alongside colleagues to identify and cultivate new corporate relationships for other areas of Somerset House’s work.
We are looking for a Development Manager with some previous experience of working in the sponsorship or brand communications industries to contribute to the success of the Development team. We are looking for a team member whose account management style and attention to detail is such that our partners’ expectations are met to our mutual benefit, with partners choosing to extend their relationship with Somerset House.
Whilst the bulk of the role will focus on account management and sales across brand partnerships and corporate membership, we are looking for someone who can adapt to different work pressures, working with colleagues across other areas of the Development team, including Trusts and Foundation applications and event management as priorities vary.
Somerset House seeks to be an inspirational creative community where contemporary culture is imagined, created and experienced.
For 250 years, Somerset House has played a central role in our society as a place where our culture and collective understanding of the world is shaped and defined.
In 2000, it began its reinvention as a cultural powerhouse for today, advancing a new
generation of creative thinkers who are pushing intellectual and creative boundaries and shifting perceptions of our culture. We celebrate our heritage by looking to the future with renewed social purpose, creating unique and stimulating experiences for the public, bringing them into direct contact with ideas from the greatest artists, makers and thinkers of our time. Located at the geographical heart of London, we are uniquely placed to serve the capital, the country beyond and the wider world.
A registered charity, we operate an independent economic model where commercial and artistic imperatives comfortably co-exist. At Somerset House, art is embedded within a wider community of creative enterprise, creating a pragmatic and viable vision for the arts and cultural centre of the 21st century.
Our vision is to become the UK’s leading centre for contemporary culture, with unexpected ideas and experiences emerging from the intersection of the three groups that constitute our unique cultural ecosystem.
For the public, we seek to be an inspirational place to experience the work of today’s boldest minds, providing intellectual and cultural connections with new ideas and the people behind them. The combination of our celebrated neo-classical setting and our bold, forward-thinking output creates surprising, stimulating and joyful shared experiences for our visitors.
For artists and makers of all disciplines, we seek to encourage experimentation and the creation of new work. We are somewhere for today’s creative generation to take risks, to push boundaries, to collaborate, and go beyond the obvious.
For the wider creative community, we seek to be a home to the largest cluster of creative enterprises in London, a mutually-supportive community ranging from start-ups to established creative businesses, where the best people, ideas and organisations can thrive.
The Development team is a relatively new function for Somerset House, but income and in kind support generated through corporate partners, trusts, foundations and individuals will be essential to realising our strategic goals.
Current partners include American Express, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Bloomberg, Coty and Fortnum & Mason Bloomberg.
Main Activities and Responsibilities
• Work with the Deputy Director and Development colleagues to shape sponsorship and corporate membership opportunities and to identify potential brands and corporate partners to approach.
• Produce impactful fundraising materials that convey opportunities effectively, reflecting Somerset House’s brand and core values.
• Produce a regular summary of forthcoming opportunities to share with key contacts.
• Research potential partners, secure meetings and prepare research for briefing notes.
• Prepare and participate in face-to-face presentations.
• Support the negotiation of new partnerships from rights packages to drawing up and amending contracts.
• Ensure professional and consistent follow-up with all prospects.
• Assist with and attend Development cultivation events.
• Act as the day-to-day contact for a range of sponsors and corporate members, building excellent relationships, setting clear objectives and across all Somerset House departments to ensure that partnerships are delivered to the highest possible standard.
• Maintain accurate records of how different rights and sponsorship benefits are being used.
• Maintain and share up-to-date status reports on individual partnerships.
• Ensure regular and effective communication with partners.
• Ensure that all contractual benefits and rights are activated, including agreed branding, access to tickets and sponsor events.
• Review partnerships and produce written evaluation reports to summarise each partnership.
• Develop relationships with existing corporate sponsors and partners to broaden, lengthen and/or increase their support for and across the organization.
• Build effective internal relationships across departments, in order to identify and pursue organisation-wide opportunities for commercial partnerships and to facilitate collaborative approaches.
• Attend and report back from organisation-wide project meetings, as relevant.
• Support the implementation of a new organisation-wide CRM system and ensure that corporate records are kept up to date on this system going forward.
• Prepare prospects lists and reports, as required.
• Provide regular reports and updates for the Deputy Director to share with the Directorate and Board of Trustees.
• Keep abreast of best practice across the cultural and wider sponsorship sectors, with an eye to spotting new trends and future opportunities.
• Work with the Deputy Director to advance wider Development objectives for Somerset House and undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required in the post.
The post will require some evening and early morning work, including attending early morning and evening cultivation and network events and exhibition opening.
• Experience of working with commercial partners for mutual benefit in line with income generation goals.
• Demonstrable experience of sales or account management, ideally within a marketing, charity or art environment.
• Ability to develop effective sponsorship/brand partnership proposals and take discussions forward to a successful conclusion.
• Willingness to work collegiately to strengthen and implement Somerset House’s development strategy, understanding that this will be refined based on experience. This will include working with a number of consultants and external partners linked to particular projects in development at Somerset House.
• Enthusiasm for being part of a new Development team at Somerset House and understanding that this will involve a flexible attitude to areas of responsibility, as well as an ability to influence the development of strategy and operations from an early stage
• Passion for the arts and creative sector.
• Competent user of CRM systems, especially Tessitura.
The closing date for applications is 17.00 on Wednesday 24 January 2018.