With 25 editions and over eight million readers worldwide, ELLE Decoration is the world's highest selling luxury modern interiors magazine, with an audience of design conscious trend setters and tastemakers. We produce high-quality, engaging and relevant pieces on global design and interiors, as well as forecasting and setting the next interiors trends. We pride ourselves on giving our readers outstanding quality journalism, originality and unforgettable brand experiences all delivered with passion, creativity and expertise.
Reporting to ELLE Decoration's Editor, you will help to oversee and coordinate all aspects of ELLE Decoration's editorial content to make sure it is produced on time and to budget. This role is very much office-based rather than outward-facing to ensure the smooth running of the print product, while the Editor is occupied with commercial obligations.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
• Oversee and run weekly conference and events catch-ups, as well as monthly forward planning meetings
• To assist and advise on the planning and flat-plan creation of each issue.
• To work with the Editor and editorial team to plan the editorial brand strategy, using expert market knowledge to guide which topics and themes should be tackled and when.
• With the Editor execute a rolling annual content plan. Share this with all stakeholders.
• Oversee and edit all copy, heads and sells to maintain a consistent level of excellence and ensure the voice of the brand remains upbeat, intelligent and knowledgeable across all subject matter.
• Work with departments to filter content ideas and edit/rewrite copy across the main magazine and all supplements and brand extensions to maintain excellent standards
• Work closely with the features team to create the highest standards of writing, commissioning and editing
• Take responsibility for the legal requirements and accuracy of content appearing in the magazine. Proof read at relevant stages.
• Commission experts and relevant writers, photographers and illustrators, as agreed with the Editor, through the most cost-effective and relevant editorial workflow sources available. Write copy when appropriate.
• Originate editorial ideas for the whole magazine and work with the Editor to maintain balance of content to include all editorial pillars.
• Oversee and manage ELLE Decoration's fortnightly mailing list newsletter.
• To oversee and manage the creative output of three department heads - features editor, style editor and homes editor ensuring they meet deadlines and budget. Ensure these direct reports have an up-to-date job description, clear KPIs, regular career reviews, and performance discussions and that these are documented and acted upon.
• Collaborate with the Workflow Director and Managing Editor to deliver an effective and efficient workflow and resource allocation.
• Be responsible for content rights and negotiate for maximum usage within budget.
• Support the Editor and Chief Sub in keeping a close eye on the flat-plan and dummy, watching for editorial/advertising conflicts. Find solutions to these problems in conjunction with all stakeholders.
• Support the Editor with liaising with all central departments on all issues that affect the print production and packaging of the magazine.
• Read and monitor competitor magazines and other activities within the media to keep abreast of new ideas and trends.
The Key Performance Indicators against which you will be measured will be set by your line manager.
• We are looking for an experienced individual with a proven track record within the high-end luxury design and interiors market.
• Exceptional writing and editing experience gained following experience within the high- end home interiors/contemporary design sector essential.
• Experience in commissioning writers, photographers and/or stylists and in briefing art and picture desks.
• Meticulous and hyper-organised with exceptional time-management skills.
• Excellent inter-personal skills with ability to motivate and encourage team members to solve problems quickly.
• Ability to manage tasks to a tight deadline and deal with challenges calmly and efficiently.