Entertainment Editor - Cosmopolitan UK
Cosmopolitan UK is looking for a pop-culture-obsessed Entertainment Editor to bring our readers all the latest on the TV shows everyone's bingeing, the music they should be streaming and the funniest take on that celebrity moment the world is obsessing over. Witty, SEO-savvy, and preferably Love-Island-obsessed, the Entertainment Editor will lead the content production and strategy of the vertical across our digital platforms, ensuring we're always first, always accurate and always unique. They will also play a vital role in assisting with the production of entertainment in print, contributing to the section when necessary, working closely with the Special Projects Director to collaborate on talent opportunities and cover shoots, and tying up the strategy for bigger Entertainment-led projects across all platforms.
REPORTS TO: EXECUTIVE EDITOR (DIGITAL) (+ SPECIAL PROJECTS DIRECTOR)
• Lead the news coverage for Cosmopolitan.com/uk's Entertainment section, creating timely, agenda-setting, viral-worthy stories that entertain and inform our readers and drive traffic.
• Craft and perfect the unique Cosmopolitan tone, ensuring that we are witty, kind and honest, and never salacious, mean or deceptive.
• Be an expert in retaining our readers' trust, ensuring honest headlines, factually accurate copy, thorough legal checks and a clickbait-averse social strategy.
• Write and commission original, conversation-starting entertainment features for both digital and, where appropriate, print. With the support of the Special Projects Director, edit all in-house and commissioned entertainment content for both platforms, ensuring all legal and editorial checkboxes have been ticked.
• Generate an overarching 2019 Entertainment content plan for the section online and be proactive in pitching larger Entertainment 'moments' based on seasonal trends and important events in the reader's calendar. Ensure our digital strategy is synced-up at all times with activity in print.
• Along with the Special Projects Director, play a vital role in helping shaping the entertainment content strategy in print, based on digital learnings and trends.
• Work with the Special Projects Director to build strong relationships with celebrities, agents and PRs, and ensure our digital Entertainment content enriches and nurtures those relationships, while also remaining clicky, entertaining and honest.
• Work closely with the Special Projects Director, alongside the Editor-in-Chief, Executive Editor (Digital), Social Media Manager and Video Lead to ensure all celebrity access and shoots are being exploited to their fullest.
• Lead the digital strategy around our monthly cover stars by planning ahead and co-ordinating with the Special Projects Director and other key stakeholders to ensure we're creating PR buzz, whether through video interviews, social franchises, or written online features.
• Build a network of trusted freelance writers, contributors and contacts for the purpose of exclusives, opinion-pieces and broader features across print and digital.
• Work closely with the Velocity Video team, to ensure they are abreast of our successes and strategy, what our current content pipeline is and the associated needs, and that they have a constant stream of ideas and requests.
• Develop the digital expertise of all contributors to the Entertainment section through clear and concise feedback and strong management skills.
• Oversee the wider network of digital entertainment freelancers, ensuring our out-of-hours needs are covered and that all writers are up-to-speed on topics, tone and basic strategy.
• Own the digital budget for Entertainment, manage invoices and ensure proper commissioning practice is taking place at all times.
• Create and implement an SEO strategy for the section, ensuring new content is constantly being created, updated and engaged with.
• Lead the Entertainment e-commerce strategy, ensuring high performers are updated, SEO opportunities are exploited, and editorial integrity is maintained, while aiming for MOM and YOY growth.
• Curate Cosmopolitan's weekly newsletter and daily partner pitches to reach new audiences and generate revenue for the brand.
• Be the digital Entertainment expert taking point on wider brand projects as and when required, whether that be generating ideas for audio content, producing supporting material for our events or researching and brainstorming brand extensions.
• Experience in an Entertainment role (or similar) at a large media brand.
• Must have experience working in digital, with a thorough understanding of SEO, analytics and how digital content differs from print.
• An ability to trawl through the news to find the unique Cosmopolitan angle in a sea of headlines is a must, as is generating new and original traffic-driving news stories from scratch.
• The ability to remain calm and work fast and strategically under pressure, with a strong understanding of media law and how it applies to our content.
• Bursting with enthusiasm and passion for the brand and topic, with an endless stream of innovative, original ideas that are uniquely Cosmopolitan.
• Strong working relationships with the most important agents, PRs and publicists, able to call on them for comments, exclusives and partnership opportunities.
• Thoroughly embedded in the world of Entertainment, up-to-speed on the latest celebrity social posts, the break-ups and make-ups, the latest releases and upcoming anniversaries, the biggest events and launches.
• A keen eye for data, able to create monthly performance reports, build and maintain an SEO strategy and constantly spot trends and build on that success.
• A strong, personable interview technique, with experience and willingness to take part in junkets and video, as well as national/local print, radio and TV interviews where appropriate.
• Experience commissioning, from writing briefs, to editing and managing a budget, is ideal.
• Management experience preferred
• A genuine interest in the young women's media market, with an in-depth understanding of the Gen Z and millennial audience as it applies to Cosmopolitan.
• A strong understanding of the Cosmopolitan tone and editorial direction.
This role reports into the Executive Editor (Digital), with a dotted line into the print Special Projects Director.
• A brief, but hilarious, covering letter that explains why you are perfect for the role in no more than 600 words.
• Three content ideas for the site - please pitch in no more than 60 words each.
• A brief description of a repeatable celebrity video format idea in no more than 200 words.
• Up to 3 links to relevant examples of your work.