JOB TITLE: Graphic Design and Animation Associate
BUSINESS UNIT: UK Division
REPORTS TO: Innovation, Data and Outreach Director
Chemonics’ UK Division is looking for a graphic design and animation professional (the ‘creative’) to convert international development methodologies and data into compelling and informative visual content, to illuminate local project and results stories, and to illustrate complex ideas. The creative will produce infographics, illustrations, animated data visualisations, publication layouts, presentation templates, and other communications and social media content.
The designer will be responsible for producing necessary graphics for proposals, documents and presentations for our main clients (Department for International Development, Foreign & Commonwealth Office and other UK Government departments), as well as the local and national government and community partners in the countries where we work. The creative will also provide professional, innovative and strategic design guidance, advice and some skill-building training to colleagues, and will check the design quality and brand compliance of outward-facing documents.
The successful applicant will bring applied design skills and a broad knowledge of current design and production techniques while employing outstanding analytical and communication skills to assist internal clients in determining visual requirements for their information.
The Innovation, Data and Outreach team provides strategic communications support, evaluation and learning, data interpretation and analysis advice, on a consulting basis to other internal teams within the Chemonics UK Division (UKD), to foster the engagement of Chemonics with our clients and partners, and to continually enhance communication of international development results and learning to a wide array of internal and external stakeholders.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Coordinate internally with technical colleagues to co-create and produce infographic concepts and final digital illustrations for proposal documents, client reports, partner and stakeholder presentations, and public-facing promotional media – the task of preparing graphics for proposal documents will be the principle responsibility
• Reviews requests for proposals to assist proposal teams in developing more attractive, innovative concepts to support technical information in proposals.
• Proactively consults with key proposal team members and makes recommendations on effective and innovative graphics solutions.
• Pitch ideas, create storyboards and turn written methodologies and technical content into visuals
• Develop concepts and artwork, edit and produce short motion graphics animations, animated tutorials and data visualisations
• Manage and create files in a mix of Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, After Effects, and related animation software
• Produce new visual presentation and reporting templates and edit pre-existing graphic design materials
• Guide and advise internal clients through the creative brief process to solicit input for the scope of a design/animation project
• Create innovative, original designs and layouts with a strong sense of typography and appropriate use of colour and fonts for readability of data
• Apply working knowledge of design and communication principles to support colleagues with the development of communication approaches, presentations and document layouts
• Solve design and visual communication challenges in a variety of formats (charts, diagrams, maps, logos, posters, brochures, websites, and newsletters)
• Manage multiple projects and priorities, working with diverse clients in the UK Division and overseas project offices
• Work closely with others in the UK Division, and Washington DC graphic design and communications department, to consistently apply Chemonics branding and to coordinate and improve workflow
• Selects and edits appropriate photos that reflect Chemonics’ work
• Coordinate the production of printed materials and the purchase of other graphics-related and animation materials and services with outside printers and vendors as required by project or office needs
• Understand and apply corporate and client branding and style guides appropriately to all products
• Understand roles and responsibilities; promotes strategies for effective teamwork and cultivate collaborative working relationships across the company
• Maintain and expand technical knowledge in graphic design, animation and other related creative communication fields by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies and Chemonics practice networks across the company
• Champion Chemonics’ visual brand internally.
A portfolio and showreel will need to be submitted by candidates, for them to be considered for this role.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the required knowledge, skills, and/or abilities needed to perform the principal duties.
• Demonstrable professional design and simple animation experience working in a design, media or advertising agency, corporate marketing or communications department, or government/academic communications team.
• Bachelors degree in a creative subject, graphic design or visual communication, or equivalent work experience
• Advanced knowledge of and experience using Adobe Creative Suite and related software
• Knowledge of and experience using Microsoft Word and Powerpoint required, knowledge of Excel, Visio, and Power BI preferred
• Proficiency in motion graphics, colour grading and video editing experience is a plus
• Strong organisational skills; ability to prioritise, solve problems creatively, and work under tight deadlines
• Excellent collaborative and interpersonal skills
• Excellent written and oral communications skills
• Knowledge of design and visual communication principles and approaches, typography, and mechanical and digital production techniques
• Demonstrated knowledge of relevant design-oriented PC and Mac hardware/software programmes
• A strong digital design portfolio with a variety of samples
• A passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world!
• UK work authorisation to obtain if required