The ‘Merchandising & Marketing Manager, ODC’ is a pivotal role for Deliveroo. The desired candidate will be a great stakeholder manager, be a highly capable merchandising and marketing strategist, confident and comfortable presenting and communicating with senior stakeholders both internally and externally
In this role, you’ll be leading some of the most challenging and exciting initiatives within our ODC team. Your key responsibilities will be to:
1) Define and own our overall merchandising approach to i) drive consumer awareness, acquisition and frequency iii) develop partnerships with Retailers and FMCG’s iii) optimise unit economics
2) Develop a complete understanding of consumer needs, both existing and potential, and use that knowledge to lead category and ranging strategy. Optimise this via developing relationships with our key ODC partners across the UK, Europe and APAC to co-create account level plans
3) Be highly engaged and collaborate with the Commercial Partnerships (CP) team to help facilitate and maximise strategic FMCG relationships
Act as the direct interface for commercial partnerships and ODC , as well as the wider and marketing org.
Act as the gatekeeper to all ODC media asset inventory, working with the CP team and their designated agents to fill inventory with FMCG partner activations. Be responsible for the acquisition, allocation, management and expansion of inventory as well as the approval and campaign material uploading processes.
Understand the CP plan and ensure CP are incorporated into the overall merchandising approach. Provide visibility of ODC merchandising plans inclusive of ODC retail partner plans to drive the CP pipeline.
Work closely with CP to input into the building of JBP with strategic partner FMCGs.
4) Act as the ‘business owner’ for all ODC categories, possessing a complete understanding of internal and external variables that impact our business (this entails owning forecasting, monitoring, understanding and reporting on the category, along with responsibility for driving strategic projects to achieve business objectives)
5) Create business plans for new opportunities and develop and execute project plans for the launch of new features, incorporating merchandising and pricing strategies
6) Partner with Account Managers, Consumer & Product Marketing to maximise impact of strategy
7) Work closely with the “New Businesses” leadership team and other groups at Deliveroo to deliver high-impact projects
The role requires strong leadership, commercial acumen, problem-solving skills, with a track-record of delivering complex projects with multiple stakeholders:
5+ years experience in a marketplace e-commerce environment and/or retail/consumer products industries
You’ve achieved clear customer, commercial and financial results with a strong resilient entrepreneurial spirit
Deep knowledge of industry trends, competition, best practices, and other factors that affect profitability and business success. Able to rapidly understand how our business operates, makes money and sustains profitable growth
Strong problem-solving skills; effectively resolving issues that involve people, things, and processes by using logic and common sense. Identifying the root cause of a problem by using data-mining and analysis to validate and test approach
Strong stakeholder management skills; engaging, informing, and gaining the support of various stakeholders. Taking time to collaborate and build relationships; earning the respect and trust of others within the organisation through strong emotional intelligence
Project and change management experience; able to demonstrate managing multiple complex projects with numerous stakeholders in a structured and logical way
You'll be an ideal fit you are:
Customer Obsessed - understand and connect with our customers. Believe in our ability to create services and products which address this and have the customers best interest at heart
Resourceful - constantly look for creative ways to make the most of the resources we have. Throw tenacity, brainpower, teamwork and collaboration at problems, not money and extra heads. Think like an entrepreneur
Comfortable with Ambiguity & Autonomy - happy to be pointed at problems and work out how to solve them. You don't require micro-management to be successful - you have a can do / will do attitude
Tactical & Strategic - able to ‘think big’ as well as execute ‘on-the-fly’ via understanding the dynamics, interdependencies and implications of decisions.
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London in 2004 and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. In 2013 Deliveroo was launched. Fast forward to 2020 and we operate in 12 markets with over 60,000 riders who deliver orders from 60,000 restaurants in over 500 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in around 30 minutes.
And we're just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it's clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion pound company that has grown rapidly. Deliveroo came top in the FT's' list of Europe's fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte's 'UK Top 50' two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.