JOB TITLE: SENIOR SUBEDITOR
REPORTS TO: CHIEF SUBEDITOR
• To subedit pages quickly with precision, flair and imagination, ensuring the factual accuracy of all assertions and keeping a close eye on grammar. Fake news is everywhere: what we offer are trustworthy perspectives.
• To help maintain the "voice" of Men's Health, Women's Health and Runner's World magazines, with a particular focus on Men's Health. This involves not only applying house style rules but also a sensitivity to the editorial tones of Men's Health and the other two magazines.
• To work closely with all departments, making sure that deadlines are met and problems resolved efficiently.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Subediting content - for sense, editing to fit, writing original and witty captions, headlines and page furniture that fit the tone of our titles.
• Assisting the chief subeditor in managing the workflow and production of Men's Health magazine and supplements.
• Fact-checking meticulously.
• Ensuring high editorial and production standards are maintained.
• To liaise with company lawyers when necessary to ensure that pages are legally sound.
• To cover for chief subeditors in their absence.
• Prior experience in a subediting role, preferably in print media.
• An excellent command of English, with an understanding of the finer points of grammar, tone and style.
• Knowledge of Men's Health and its competitors.
• Excellent time management and an ability to prioritise.
• Experience with InDesign and MS Office.
• A willingness to learn, and a desire to excel in the role simply for the sake of doing a great job.
• An awareness of modern men's vernacular and their relationships with health, fitness and masculinity.
• Good communication skills.
• An ability to cope under pressure.
• An awareness of media law.