We are the new lead brand partner of Cancer Research UK. This is our first work for the brand in the form of six new design themes. The branding device used by Cancer Research UK is a single C made of multi-coloured dots, symbolising a collective force coming together to help beat cancer sooner.
With the new designs a more flexible identity system comes into play, based upon the brand mark to be employed on new communications materials. This flexibility sets out to encourage more conversation with supporters by being more diverse and dynamic.
The six new designs reflect core themes of ‘#WeWill beat cancer sooner’:
· The ‘Sooner’ design features a speeding series of lozenges that were created by London special effects house ‘Smoke & Mirrors’. The new work is designed to be rendered at a variety of different angles to accentuate the feeling of speed.
· The ‘Collective Force’ design shows a series of connected fibre optics.
· ‘Scientific Research’ features the scientific equipment used in the daily search for cures. The equipment was provided by leading Cancer Research UK labs in London and was filmed and shot by photographer Simon Warren.
· The ‘Science’ structure, inspired by the molecular structures used by scientists has been designed to talk about deeper science issues and discoveries.
· ‘Celebration’ features film and photography of ascending balloons.
· ‘Christmas’ is reflected through the photography of a series of custom-built bauble installations developed with CGI firmDigital Progression.
SomeOne’s Creative Director, Laura Hussey, says of the work ‘The designs have been created in a variety of different ways — from physical builds and photography — to 3d CGI modelling and animation. Many of the designs are accompanied by films to bring them to life further and make them as useful as possible.’
The work will be available to all roster agencies, to use across communications.
Executive Creative Director of SomeOne, Simon Manchipp, says of the project ‘Cancer Research UK is an exceptional brand. The largest cancer charity in the UK, it has unique purpose, scale and influence. This new work captures their fight to beat cancer sooner in a particularly imaginative and conversational way.’
Kate Eden, Head of Brand at Cancer Research UK, says ‘We’re delighted with this new suite of C designs. It powerfully visualises the themes that drive our mission to beat cancer sooner. Our brand assets must continue to deliver our message in relevant new ways, and we’re already working with SomeOne on a number of exciting follow-up projects.’