Hi, I'm Al. I'm a radio presenter, audio creator, and writer. Currently freelancing at BBC Local Radio in the Midlands and creating informercial-style sponsored content for Boom Radio, I am keen to work with production houses to develop both short- and long-form audio projects. I am also writing, hosting and co-producing a podcast for The Dadsnet called "How To Be A Dad".
- BBC Package - There's a New T-Rex In TownWhen a new dinosaur exhibition opens at an old hall and the expert guest you've been asked to line-up for interview says, "I've already spoken about it so many times.." - it's a great excuse/relief to get creative! A three-and-a-half minute package for the BBC which plays on a new T-Rex coming to Wollaton Hall in Nottingham, famously home to Batman in The Dark Knight Rises film. Also, despite the expert not wanting to talk dinosaur bones, this is an example of taking the conversation down an un
- BBC Package: Flying with a World War 2 PilotThe brief was to meet a World War 2 veteran for a cup of tea and to discuss his passion for flying again, well into his 80s. When I arrived at the airfield for our chat, it was just before he was due to go out flying. How often do you get the chance to be flown by a genuine World War 2 pilot? I recorded our chat and then joined him in the plane, as he flew across two counties. We had a bacon sandwich and a cup of tea, and flew back. Flt Lt John Trotman is a fascinating man and I was able to ca
- BBC Package: Lovers Rock (Small Axe) - Interview with Lady Vee.An interview with a pioneer of the Lovers Rock scene in the Midlands, Lady Vee from the V Rocket Sound System. To celebrate the series by Sir Steve McQueen - in particular this episode - I chatted with the woman who took the sound from a block of flats in the Midlands to the world. An interview mixed with tracks from the Lovers Rock era. Speaking with an icon and allowing her to just slip back to those times as she told stories and shared memories. Produced and interviewed by me for BBC Radi
- BBC Package: Save Our Woods - One Village's Fight Against Highways EnglandIn rural Nottinghamshire a group of villagers are taking on Highways England to protect the woodland their children and grandchildren played in, after a For Sale sign went up on the land. The challenge in making this package was to create something entertaining and with colour, that would be more than dry voices talking about council support and putting orders in place. As strong as their cause is, it needs to relate to a wider audience. And for that... you need references to The Gruffalo.
- BBC Interview: Baroness Doreen LawrenceA one-to-one interview with Baroness Doreen Lawrence. We spoke about her son's legacy, and her life as a Mum and Grandmother, as well as role as a woman, and Mum who changed the law. After our interview I had an email from Mrs Lawrence's people saying she enjoyed the laid-back, personal style of interview.
+ View all
Nottingham, United KingdomFreelance
A Broadcast Journalist and Presenter, I have worked across all sites in the East and West Midlands. From presenting breakfast and drive shows, to creating audio packages for breakfast and news shows. My main skill lies in, as one News Ed said recently. "Creating something entertaining out of nothing". I produce audio packages through interviews and scripted word, and audio editing.
- Audio Content
- Audio Production
- Audio Interviewing
- Creating Stories
- Radio Broadcasting
- Radio Presenting
- TV Presenting
- Anecdotal Writing
- Creative Writing