You can only message people who are following you. If you’d like to message this person, simply join our Recruiter Pro Plan.
Do you really want to delete project Documenting Sisters ?
Do you really want to delete project Bolivia, Open Veins ?
Do you really want to delete project Cabo do Mar / Undersea Cable?
Do you really want to delete project Pantyhoez "furkini" line?
Do you really want to delete project 3 ways to understand Rousseff's impeachment and the growth of the Right in Brazil?
I am a filmmaker interested in telling stories linked to social justice topics which deal with the historical, the personal and the intergenerational. I am currently finishing 'Turas' (working title), a short essay film exploring the memory of Irish Republicanism and migration in my family. An experimental film I shot on smartphones, ‘Cabo do Mar/Undersea Cable’, was screened at the Tate Modern and the ICA in London. My freelance journalism and photography has been published in outlets including Vice, Dazed & Confused, OpenDemocracy and Novara Media. I have worked in production assistant roles since I was a teenager, which took me to locations including prisons in Bolivia, favelas being demolished in Rio de Janeiro and Chilean student protests. I am at home in fast-paced office environments as well as on international documentary shoots. I thrive as part of a small team in challenging situations, working in a consistent and ethical way with contributors. In my freelance research work I seek to gain an in-depth, multi-layered understanding of topics before seeking contributors and accessing sometimes hard to locate documents to back up factual claims. I am fluent in Spanish and Portuguese.Locked Pro Plan feature
- I was the main researcher bringing together a report looking at human rights and environmental issues caused by Latin America's largest mining waste tailings dam, located in Chile. The report also detailed corruption allegations involving the mining company in question, which I worked together with a lawyer to report on in a reliable and fair way. The report is available online, and has led to recent press coverage in several mining industry publications, The Telegraph, OpenDemocracy and others. - Research tasks included submitting FOIs to relevant Chilean authorities, conducting interviews with experts and people affected by the tailings dam, following all media coverage relating to the tailings dam. - I was available for interview for journalists and doctoral researchers about my research into the El Mauro tailings-dam. Having written the first English-language coverage of the conflict in 2013 I responded to requests for further information from publications including Wall Street Journal and The Guardian, and contributed to doctoral research at UCL. - I published coverage of issues relating to the El Mauro tailings dam in publications such as New Internationalist, Upsidedownworld.org and The Ecologist.
- I oversaw course administration for around 200 students at UKLC summer language courses. I was responsible for keeping track of welfare needs and communicating with the students regarding wellbeing and pastoral care. - I taught English classes to teenage students at various levels.
- I sourced potential contributors and negotiated access towards pitch for Channel 4 online shorts, looking at new forms of innovative or quirky part-time employment within the context of economic austerity in Britain. - I was part of a research team towards current affairs doc looking at children and adolescent experiences of counter-terrorism policies in Britain. Tasks included submitting FOIs, conducting interviews with relevant legal experts in the subject area.
- I transcribed a script using Inqscribe software for 'Blood Money', a documentary on corruption in the Ukraine for Vice Media, winner of Sundance Institute TED Award, directed by Havana Marking. - Production research towards feature length documentary about free diving. Researched biographies of contributors, history of technology to be featured, history of sport. - Wrote press release for music documentary. - On-shoot runner.
- I was research assistant to two senior academics in the preparation of a public exhibition of Chilean textiles produced clandestinely during the Pinochet dictatorship. - I assisted in running a textiles workshop during the exhibition. I recorded a testimonial soundscape comprised of interviews with workshop participants. - I wrote exhibition text and prepared an annotated bibliography towards further research.
-I was on-shoot assistant for award-winning filmmaker Rodrigo Vazquez in Bolivia and Chile for the production of 'Child Miner' series for Al Jazeera's Witness strand, and 'Chile's First Terrorist' for Al Jazeera's strand Activate. - Responsibilities included camera assisting, location research, stills photography. - Initiative, multi-tasking and a friendly manner were essential as part of a small 2 - 3 person crew. Shoots often included sensitive subject matter and in sometimes unpredictable situations.
- Part-time work undertaken in commercials and film offices whilst completing my undergraduate degree. - Tasks included client hospitality, preparing meeting room spaces and edit suites, collecting, delivering and archiving drives, logging receipts and handling petty cash, managing phones and e-mail. - I undertook research looking at brand identities and business strategy of potential clients.
- I have worked on various occasions as an interpreter between Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese and English, in settings such as at public meetings and for trade union representation. I have also translated legal documents and journalism from Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese into English. - As a written translator I can work from Spanish/Portuguese into English. As an interpreter I can work between these languages.
One month as a production assistant working in the colouring team on Xavier Mariscal & Fernando Trueba's "Chico & Rita".
Practical MA covering technical aspects of filmmaking: editing, camera operation, sound, production.
I was awarded the Santander travel scholarship to study at the Institute of History, UFRJ.
Liberal Arts is an interdisciplinary humanities degree. My major was in Comparative Literature and my minor was in History. 2:1
2nd place, 'Cabo do Mar/Undersea Cable'
Undergraduate Research Fellowship in the Department of Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies. Assisted two senior lecturers preparing a public exhibition and research bibliography on topics related to Chilean cultural history.
Awarded Santander travel scholarship for non-essential travel to Latin America as part of my undergraduate studies.