Charlie makes films for audiences to feel things deeply, through bold, visual storytelling, creating a visceral experience that over time leads to questions. At the moment, the actor/filmmaker is in the process of developing his second feature film, Jewel, to explore notions of power in an unequal and disintegrating society. At the same time, Charlie is continuing to make a series of short films to experiment with these ideas in different formats. Other than filmmaking, Charlie is a graduate of the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. Since leaving Drama School Charlie has performed with Punchdrunk, Gardzienice, and in plays at the Gate Theatre, La Mama theatre in New York and Les Halles de Schaerbeek in Brussels. In film he was the lead in the BAFTA short listed short “Watching” performing opposite Ian Hart, was the lead in the short film “Recalculating”, the debut of renowned BBDO London creatives Nathalie Turton and Lorelei Mathias, and in the short film "At the Edge of Night",directed by Brandon Fayette, J.J. Abrams right hand man at Bad Robot. He has also recently starred in Stella Artois/Wimbledon spot directed by garlanded director Andreas Nillson, produced by Mother, and a Lexus spot in the US directed by Douglas Avery. He is a passionate, committed actor who believes in the absolute need in the world for great stories and actors to tell them.
- Jewel (2017) - In DevelopmentA unemployed migrant in an oligarch-run London is offered a high-paid gig as a dancer for an incredibly wealthy woman, and while it seems like a route to salvation for himself and his community, he soon gets in over his head and is forced to choose between the woman he loves and the woman controlling their lives.
- Joan (2017) - In DevelopmentJoan - 2017 (In Production) A visually explosive and provocatively tender art film, which is an ode to female beauty, intelligence, sexuality and desire, and its harmonising of the feminine and masculine energies. Working in collaboration with a Heloise Tunstall-Behrens, Auclair, Jessica Batut and a host of the finest contemporary European Dancers.
+ View all
Projects credited in
- CHAMPIONING DIVERSITY: CHARLIE CATTRALLCharlie Cattrall was chosen by Martin Firrell as one of the up-and-coming talents shaping the creative worlds of today and tomorrow, as part of our collaboration with creative network The Dots. Read more about the other artists here or read on to learn more about Charlie’s intriguing work. “The history of cinema was silent to start with,” Charlie Cattrall reminds us. “I almost think, because it’s such a a visual medium, language should be the last thing you should use in a film.”5
- WETRANSFER AND THE DOTS PRESENT: CHAMPIONING DIVERSITYThis month some of the leading creatives from the LGBT+ community are curating our WeTransfer wallpapers. Working with creative network The Dots we invited movers and shakers – from Google’s Tea Uglow to filmmaker Matt Lambert – to choose an up-and-coming LGBT+ creative who they believe is shaping the creative worlds of today and tomorrow. Meet our 2017 selections below… Curator: Tea Uglow Artist: Hana Tanimura The amazing Tea Uglow is creative director of Google’s Creative Lab in Sydney. The l9
- Championing Diversity: Meet the LGBT+ Creative Leaders of TomorrowWhilst diversity in the Creative Industries is flourishing, there’s still tracks to be made towards equality and inclusivity for all. Discover fresh ideas from people changing perspectives for the better, as nominated by 8 creative icons from across the globe, brought together by WeTransfer and The Dots.50
- Short Film
Douglas Hickox Award (Directorial Debut)