I am a writer, idealist and thinker. I’m punctilious, principled and curious. I’m a design aficionado, urban explorer and devotee of pour-over coffee. Moustachioed and affable, I’m an inquisitive introvert.
Projects credited in
- London Design Fair announces the first Material of the YearThis September, London Design Fair introduces a new initiative to celebrate the materials currently making the biggest impact on the international design scene. The inaugural Material of the Year showcase explores the aesthetic and structural versatility of Jesmonite® – the ‘chameleon’ making material that an ever-growing number of today’s designers are employing in varied and innovative ways.
- Inspiring PortugalIn its second outing at London Design Fair, Inspiring Portugal will celebrate a new generation of Portuguese designers. Curated by Lisbon-based designer Marco Sousa Santos—a leading protagonist of contemporary Portuguese design—Inspiring Portugal spotlights the country’s ‘new blood’ in a stirring and fresh exhibition entitled ‘RAW’. Combining a choice selection of rational and experimental design projects—both individual and group-based—RAW will demonstrate the breadth and diversity of a new generation of Portuguese designers. A common denominator amongst the designers is the focus on experimentation with materials and a tendency towards design that affords the primacy of matter over the idea. This approach reveals the beauty of unfinished work—that ‘raw’, essential and natural element. Moreover, this new generation of Portuguese designers value a slower, workshop-based approach to design, making use of traditional methods alongside new technologies.
- Barcelona, Balearic Islands & Up-and-Coming BrandsIn September 550 brands descend on the Old Truman Brewery, we share with you a few country highlights alongside new and notable brands to look out for this September. Secure your ticket now to see the very latest furniture, lighting, textiles and collectable design from across the globe4
- Confirmed Features & Exhibitors for 2019If you’ve been keeping an eye on our newsletters you’ll know 2019 is set to be the biggest yet, with more feature exhibitions and country pavilions than ever before. Launching at the Fair this year we have; The Bathroom Gallery in partnership with ELLE Decoration; dedicated lighting exhibition [d]arc room; our yet to be revealed Material of the Year and a few other surprises in the pipeline - not to mention a wealth of brands and independent designers.4
- Announcing The Bathroom Gallery in Partnership with ELLE DecorationA new addition to the London Design Fair, The Bathroom Gallery, as the name implies, will be a bespoke exhibition for world-leading bathroom brands in partnership with ELLE Decoration UK. The aim of The Bathroom Gallery is to offer a highly-curated glimpse into the brands and products shaping bathrooms today. Of the London Design Festival’s 300 events, The Bathroom Gallery is the first and only one dedicated to bathrooms, offering the opportunity to be part of a truly unique showcase of work
+ Show more
Freelance design writerGerard McGuickin (formerly Walnut Grey Design)
Belfast, United KingdomFreelance
I established Walnut Grey Design in 2011 as a manifesto of good design. Originally a design blogger, I now write about design on a freelance basis and under my own name: Gerard McGuickin. My clients include: ArchiExpo, Chisel & Mouse, Dare Studio, Design Nation, Gessato, HEY GENTS, Liqui Design, London Design Fair, LZF Lamps, Seen PR and Vibia. As well as writing about design, I often have the opportunity to present at various design events and participate in design trips. Working with British PR firm Seen PR and Associative Design Portugal, I recently presented at and chaired a seminar in Porto on Portuguese design. I have presented at previous editions of Designjunction and chaired design conversations at the London Design Fair (both part of London Design Festival). I have had the opportunity to participate in a number of design trips. I visited the Ceramiche Refin tile factory and headquarters near Bologna, Italy, as part of a press tour organised by Refin and British PR firm Industry Publicity. I was part of a select group of bloggers and writers that participated in a tour of Spanish design brands, in Barcelona, Valencia and Madrid. The tour was organised by RED (a nonprofit conglomeration of Spanish design companies) and Spanish PR firm Felices. I visited Republic of Fritz Hansen’s headquarters in Allerød, Denmark, as part of a design press tour. I have worked as a freelance design writer with ArchiExpo e-magazine at Salone del Mobile, reporting on the fair.
- Design Thinking
- Public Speaking