I’m a versatile designer with experience in web, digital and print design. I’m quick yet creative, and able to work to strict deadlines while injecting ideas into every visual I create. At Virgin Trains, I worked on revamping and modernising graphics, typography and brand design. At TUI, I worked on web content, magazines, email, advertising banners and social media content. I also stepped up to fill the role of Acting Art Director for TUI’s Discover magazine – a title that informed customers of their nationwide re-brand, and the most important publication to date. I'm a passionate artist with a Fine Art degree from the London Metropolitan University. Please feel free to take a look at my portfolio, www.jamessmithson.com
- JIMBO Music BrandingJIMBO is a new House music artist. I worked on branding and logo design for his music. The logo is crafted based on an interesting sans-serif font that has elegant sharp angles. This reflects his style of music which is a soft Tech-House style. This is also further emphasised by the mix of upper and lower case letters. I then used the logo as a vocal point of the cover art making the image interact with the logo.
- The House of Originals Brand BookI designed the upfront pages of the brand book for SBE’s “The House of Originals” hotel concept. These pages are a tool to tell the story and capture the essence of the brand for the use of anyone who works for the company. The design is modern and sleek with an element of quirky fun.
- Villa Plus Instagram Stories and PostsI produced several social media posts for Villa Plus. All of these posts were briefed in to be GIFs so I explored the simple colourful GIF options that could bring the brand to life uniquely in their own brand colours. The final results were well received and have been used on their Twitter and Facebook feed.
- Saint Dough Logo and BrandingI designed the logo and created the branding for the new doughnut brand "Saint Dough". This new brand will have a flagship store in Covent Garden and also operate at festivals from a specially designed vintage van. I designed the logo to look sleek and sophisticated whilst also having a more fun and energetic 3D version.
- Virgin Trains Corporate Sales AssetsVirgin Trains' corporate sales require many assets to take to various business travel shows and events. Here are some examples of artwork I created for these shows and events. These pieces of artwork show how a simple idea can be elevated by having a solid concept.
- Thomson Cruises Life Onboard MagazinesThe Life Onboard magazines are an informational guide to the facilities and onboard the ships. During Thomson's rebrand to TUI, I was tasked with redesigning all the magazines into the new TUI style. The previous magazines had become very dated and the Cruise product team wanted something fresh and on-brand that would be easily digestible for the customer.
+ View all
Brand DesignerVirgin Trains
- London, United KingdomFull Time
- Scrutinising and challenging design briefs - Educating and inﬂuencing stakeholders on design thinking, process and results - Assessing design across Virgin Trains against current trends - Crafting graphics and typography to stand out against other rail and Virgin brands - Mood-boarding and creating concepts for important briefs - Creating and adapting both print and digital customer facing marketing material
Lifestyle Graphic DesignerTUI UK
- Luton, United KingdomFull Time
- Lead designer on Inﬂight, Discover, and Life Onboard magazines - Working on both print and digital content, including brochures, blogs, product pages, email and social media - Creating inspirational marketing content for the global rebrand of Thomson to TUI - Regularly deputising for the Lifestyle Art Editor - Presenting ideas and running creative workshops to inspire the design team - Implementing treatment meetings to improve the collaboration between design, editorial and photography - Creating and assigning briefs and delegating work to the team. - Working with stakeholders and building strong relationships with other teams across the business - Working to tight deadlines with quick turnaround
- Adobe Create Suite
- Graphic Design
- Concept Creating
- Branding Ideas
- Editorial Design
- Brand Design
- Art Direction
BA Fine ArtLondon Metropolitan University
- London, United Kingdom
I completed my degree at the London Metropolitan University. I decided to relocate the rest of my degree to a London University as I wanted to be right in the centre of the British art scene and experience the vibrant galleries, exhibitions and art events.
Diploma of Higher EducationUniversity of Gloucestershire
- Cheltenham, United Kingdom
I began my Fine Art degree at The University of Gloucestershire. During these two years the course stripped down every aspect of Fine art to the complete basics. Areas of art that I had never before been taught like in depth colour theory, the seven principles of art and design: shape, colour, value, form, texture and space and many other areas which have proved vital in my further art and design experience.