As a firm advocate for social justice and mutual care, through conscious, community-centred work in the arts and non-profit sectors, I want to broaden the possibilities for marginalised groups in Britain and further afield. With a practice covering community engagement, programme coordination, editorial, visual arts, and cultural programming, the main goal driving my work is the desire to create safe spaces for diverse communities to gather and flourish. By prioritising grassroots participatory action, communal ideation, and the collective imagination of new futures and alternate realities in my work, I believe I can do my bit to help facilitate the movement towards an equitable social and arts ecology that works for everyone.
- 歸屬感 - An Ode to BelongingAn Ode to Belonging is a short film which revolves around a poem I wrote, translated into Cantonese. It is a manifestation of my experience as a second-generation Chinese immigrant in the diaspora and my, at times strained, relationship with my cultural heritage. My intention was for the piece to help cultivate new narratives regarding the Othered experience and the multiplicity of my lived experiences, as well as challenge stereotypes of the Chinese community and societal constraints often imp
- Meal Deals' Bath Time/Garden Bandit single release with Major LeaguesI was commissioned by indie record label, Major Leagues, to lens the campaign visuals for the release of Meal Deals' "Bath Time/Garden Bandit" single. Collaborating with the label manager and band on the art direction, we decided to centre the shoot around the concept of British supermarket meal deals - the 'Holy Grail' being a sandwich, crisps and fizzy drink combo. We did the shoot in a DIY studio setting, with the photography, production and retouching done my me.
- Notion magazineEditorial and Production Assistant at music and culture publication, Notion. - Pitched and wrote articles for the online site and print issue Notion 87 - Wrote the cover piece for the Notion 87 Festival Guide - Assisted on photoshoots - Collaborated on the set design for the Notion 87 Kano cover shoot - Aided with production requirements - Creative direction All of my online articles can be found at https://notion.online/author/linda/ My work in print can be found at https://www.lindasou.co.
- 3-month diary.Between October 2019 and January 2020, I travelled to Asia, exploring the vast terrains of China, South Korea and Vietnam. I wanted to document my journey, as well as the multitude of ways in which people interacted with the ebb and flow of their built environments. The resulting product was a series of photographs, all shot on 35mm - an ode to the tender brilliance of moments when travelling in a foreign land. A few snippets of the diary are below.
- SLEEK magazineEditorial Intern at SLEEK magazine - a Berlin-based arts, culture and fashion publication. - Pitched and wrote articles for the online site, as well as the SLEEK 59 press release - Managed and curated the Facebook and Twitter accounts, as well as assisting on the Instagram strategy when needed - Liaised with brands and PRs to organise attendance for all the editors and photographers to the New York, London, Paris and Milan SS19 fashion weeks - Assisted the SLEEK team with administrative duties
+ View all
Facilitator and Arts WorkerLinda Sou
London, United KingdomFreelance
- Facilitating workshops and designing learning experiences on a range of topics, from DIY arts sessions on poster design and zine-making with neurodiverse communities, to abolitionist approaches for East and Southeast Asian communities - My editorial work covers visual arts, culture, race, and diversity - particularly where they intersect - I have independently and collaboratively art directed and shot: record label campaigns, editorials, headshots, press shots and BTS footage - My online portfolio for a complete archive of my commissions, collaborations and personal projects can be found at www.lindasou.co.uk
+ Show more
- Radio Presenting
- Photo Retouching
- Social Media
- Visual Research
- Film Directing
- Content Creatiion
- Academic Research
- Community Building
The Museum as a Site and Source for LearningUniversity of Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
During this online course, facilitated by Future Learn, we explored the purpose of museums and arts spaces in today's world, what can be gained from interacting with these spaces, and how to utilise new technologies to widen the scope of engagement from different demographic groups. Throughout the programme, there was a consistent focus on accessibility and inclusivity, as we brainstormed ways in which museums could better use their spaces to create welcoming learning experiences for all visitors - especially those from marginalised groups.
Cultural Studies: Ethics for Changing WorldsGoldsmiths, University of London
- London, United Kingdom
This was an introductory course to Cultural Studies with a specific focus on the different ways to think about ethics and what it means to change the life you lead in a rapidly changing world. The course focused on action from various social and philosophical perspectives, studying philosophers and social theorists that have articulated the need for change from a variety of social positions, ranging from latinx and indigenous philosophies on change and world making, to Black feminism and the European philosophical tradition.
+ Show more