I am a South African graphic designer and illustrator in London looking to further my career and explore the world. I hold a Creative Brand Communications degree from Vega School of Brand Leadership and a postgraduate degree in Illustration from the University of Stellenbosch. I currently work as a Senior Graphic Designer at the Cape Town office of the King James Group, a world-class independent advertising agency. I have worked on a variety of local and international brands, including Netflix, Le Creuset, the World Wildlife Fund, TymeBank, Sanlam and Kurt Geiger. I have won African Cristal, Bookmarks and Loerie Awards and was ranked within the Loerie Awards’ top designers in Africa and the Middle East in 2019. I live and breathe design and my goal, in the words of Stefan Sagmeister, is to “touch someone’s heart with design”.
- HammerHammer is an events agency that creates live brand experiences. Events like these are touchpoints where all five senses are engaged. To show this, we identified the points in the brain where each sense is processed. These points led to a unique fixed-dot system, which then informed every design element. We animated the logo in different ways to express the five senses and how they are used by Hammer to engage the audience. Slick black is used with pastels to combine a premium feel with a sense
- Lo-ghostLo-ghost is an alt-pop band from Cape Town, made up of Shannon Devy and Evan Strauss. I conceptualised and designed the Lo-ghost logo and brand identity, which came to life when their album There's Blood In My Body and It Sounds Like This: was launched in 2017. The logo encompasses the creative power and manifestation of Lo-ghost's music. The album cover expressed each song through an individual illustration of hands. These hands were interpreted into beautifully evocative stage visuals by Lucy
- PROOFPROOF is a high-end retouching and finished art production company that needed a new logo to communicate their multiple services. To build their brand identity, we wanted to find a motif that is present in each department. From colour separations and Photoshop layers to piles of prints, all the disciplines have one thing in common: layers and layers of proofs. This system of layers informed an identity that captures the motion, repetition and speed that happen in the studio day after day. The re
- The Confessions of King JamesBased on its name, King James advertising agency creates a Bible-themed notebook for clients each year. I was tasked with creating the latest in the series of the Book of King James. Advertising is known for its not-so-innocent side, so I asked staff members to confess their deepest, darkest agency and advertising secrets anonymously by writing them down and popping them into a confession box. These confessions became the secrets hidden within the pages of the new notebook. When recipients ope
- Netflix The ABCs of Saving the WorldWhen Netflix launched The Umbrella Academy, we were tasked to generate excitement around the show and get people to watch it. The Umbrella Academy is a superhero series which tells the story of a group of children with extraordinary talents who are being trained to save the world. We decided to bring a piece of the twisted nature of The Umbrella Academy to life. We created the first children’s book that covers everything the members of The Umbrella Academy might need to know, from defusing bomb
- TymeBankTymeBank is a digital bank with no branches, aimed at 21 million unbanked/underbanked South Africans. The brief was to design a look and feel that is unusual in the visual landscape of traditional South African banks, based on the business values of simplicity, transparency, progression and potential. I identified a symbol that represents the digital generation: a pixel. I then split the square into stripes, denoting pathways and a forward motion. These stripes became a digital 3D-rendered obje
+ View all
Projects credited in
- THE LITTLE BOOK OF WONDERA mini ebook with 11 positive opportunities for people, nature and business to grow post lockdown + spotlighting11 pioneering brands and founders from across our shores - from food to fashion, finance, beauty, nature, sustainable jobs and Black-owned businesses. Free to download here: https://view.flodesk.com/pages/609409460c791e2919260a79
Senior DesignerKing James Group
- Cape Town, South AfricaFull Time
I was employed as a mid-level designer at King James Group in 2017, and promoted to Senior Designer at the end of 2018. King James is one of the top advertising agencies in South Africa, and in my time there I was lucky enough to not only produce beautiful work, but also mentor young designers. I worked on brand identity, publication design, digital design, collateral design, packaging design, layout design and advertising campaigns while at King James Group. In that time I was awarded African Cristals, Bookmarks and Loerie Awards and made the One Show shortlist. I was also ranked the 25th in the Loerie Awards’ top designers in Africa and the Middle East in 2019. Notable brands worked on while at King James include Netflix, British Airways, Coty, Sanlam, Santam and TymeBank.
- Cape Town, South AfricaFull Time
I worked at Canvas as a Designer, Art Director and Illustrator for four years. In that time I worked on various graphic design jobs, including brand identity, packaging, collateral design, layout design and publication design. I also art directed fashion and food shoots, conceptualised advertising campaigns and worked on illustration jobs. Notable clients I helped build include Le Creuset, Adidas, Stodels, Kurt Geiger, Old Khaki, Yardley and Carvela.
+ Show more
- Graphic Design
- Brand Identity
- Publication Design
- Layout Design
- Art Direction
- Packaging Design
- Music Design
BA Honours in Visual Arts (Illustration)Stellenbosch University
- Stellenbosch, South Africa
I completed my Honours Degree in 2013. We worked on Scientific, Conceptual, Narrative and Children's Book illustration modules, and completed workshops in Photography, Typography, Bookbinding and Printmaking. My final thesis was centred around Subversive Children's Literature, and I received distinction for my Conceptual, Narrative and Children's Book Illustration final projects.
BA Creative Brand Communications, Specializing in Visual Arts CommunicationsVega School of Brand Leadership
- Cape Town, South Africa
I completed my BA degree at Vega School of Brand Leadership, specialising in Graphic Design and Art Direction. I was the first Vega student to graduate with overall distinction and won the coveted Visual Communications Pencil in 2010.
The One Show (Design Shortlist)the One Show AwardsNetflix ABCs of Saving the World made the One Show shortlist in 2020. Only 2 South African design entries were featured, so it was an honour to be chosen.
+ Show more