Founded in 2009, Nelly Ben Hayoun Studios Ltd. designs experiences for you to become an astronaut in your living room while dark energy is being created in your kitchen sink and a volcano erupts on your couch. They are an interdisciplinary design studio which devises subversive events, experiences, and feature-length films. They work on multimedia, highly ambitious projects to empower countercultures and communities by building platforms for them to challenge power structures, while also allowing for change and critical thinking through multi-faceted immersive experiences. They are pioneers in the design of experiences, their mission is to reveal meanings and power structures through experiential practices and to foster critical thinking within institutions across the world. They have consulted and worked with leading scientists, creatives, writers, brands, politicians, policymakers, musicians, and engineers worldwide and they have a track record of having successfully challenged public engagement mechanics through theatrical, experiential, and design practices. They rethink and question systems in education, design, distribution, communication, public speaking, politics, economics, history, and sociology towards further pluralistic models which we implement in their projects. The team of architects, graphic designers, textile designers, philosophers and more are based in an artist collective in a train carriage on top of a nightclub. Plurality is one of their core tenets and as a result they support the training of youths, through the University of the Underground, a tuition-free charity they founded in 2017 with board members such as Pussy Riot, Noam Chomsky, and Massive Attack; it supports free, pluralistic, and transnational education. In 2020, Dezeen shortlisted Nelly Ben Hayoun Studios Ltd. one of the world’s best design studios and in 2021 The Dots selected Nelly Ben Hayoun Studios Ltd. as one of the “Top 50 companies to work for in 2021”.
- Ground Control: How to Create an Opera in SpaceI've always been fascinated by complex bureaucracies and I enjoy figuring out and experimenting with group dynamics, communities and make things happen. After realizing the need for a new and innovative approach to space education and outreach, one connecting emotional and experiential systems, I developed the world first orchestra made of space scientists. In this complex geopolitical production, I will not take no for an answer.
- Super K Sonic BOOOOum: a psychedelic experience of sub-atomic particles...The experiential work Super K Sonic Booooum imagines what it would be like to see sub-atomic particles slam together at high speed and to experience a SONIC BOOUM (when a particle is traveling faster than the speed of light).
Projects credited in
- International Women’s Day 2021, meet 100 rising stars inspiring changeWe still have a way to go when it comes to improving gender diversity and equality in the creative, tech and digital industries – which is why it is so important for us, as a platform, to use our force for good. We’re thrilled to be releasing our annual list celebrating and shining a spotlight on 100+ rising stars from underrepresented gender identities – as nominated by The Dots community – who are transforming the industry of today and inspiring the generation of tomorrow. The list beams wit210
- Film: I Am (Not) A Monster‘To act is to begin something new’ said Hannah Arendt, one of the greatest thinkers of all time who coined the concept of the ‘banality of evil’. 'I am (not) a monster' investigates the act of thinking in the twenty-first century as well as fears associated with it. An original and unapologetic performance on political theorist Hannah Arendt (1906-1975), whose book The Origins of Totalitarianism (1951) and essays such as Truth and Politics (1967) are introduced as 'urgently' relevant to our tim11
- Top 100 Creative SuperheroesTo celebrate the launch of Creative Social’s 3rd book, Creative Superpowers: Equip yourself for the Age of Creativity, we have pulled together a list of our Top 100 Creative Superheroes. These are people that we believe are brilliant examples of makers, hackers, thieves and teachers and are helping to define the upcoming Age of Creativity. We have tried to make the list as diverse as possible (because diversity in itself breeds creativity) and is made up of architects, artists, authors, change-m
- This International Women’s Day, meet the 200 Women Redefining the Creative Industry in 2018Discover our 2020 list here This International Women's Day, we asked influential icons to nominate 10 trailblazing women who they believe are redefining the creator landscape. The result? A unique and incredible list of 200 trailblazing women breaking barriers and inspiring change! Only 36% of jobs in the creative sector are currently filled by women. At the top of the tree there’s an even bigger problem - women make up only 11% of Creative Directors. In an attempt to change this, our month-lo165
- No more excuses for all male panels: here's 50 of the best women speakersIn light of CES' 'challenge', finding enough women to fill its 2019 line-up, The Dots is shining a light on 50 women the tech conference – and any conference – would be lucky to host on its panels. In 2017, the network's founder Pip Jamieson spoke at more than 50 panels, talks and events. She found that while speaker line-ups were becoming more gender diverse in general, all too often she was in the minority or sometimes even the ‘token woman’. In 2018, The Dots is on a mission to ensure there i75
- The University of the UndergroundThe star of our first cover, designer of experiences Nelly Ben Hayoun, is one of those people who are capable of achieving the impossible. Creating dark energy in a kitchen sink? Done. Creating a volcano in a living room? Done. Recreating the experience of a sonic boom? Done. Directing an international space orchestra at NASA who perform with the likes of Savages and Sigur Ros? DONE! In person she practically fizzes with an unstoppable energy – a passionate energy she invests into everything sh
+ Show more