I use strategy based design and creative writing to form identities, campaigns and engaging brand experiences. With more than 15 years experience in brand communications, I use this knowledge to create stories and systems that engage, inform and inspire. I typically work with design agencies, helping them define the challenge, identify opportunities and deliver creative solutions. My strength lies in the creative origination and articulation of ideas, along with the development of the expressive and distinct brand identities which help shape and create the all important relationship with the audience. I’ve always been drawn, ahem, to the creative origination side of projects. The creative strategy that underpins a beautifully realised idea is exciting to be involved with. I’m lucky enough to still be involved in both the heavyweight front end thinking, as well as the development of the expressive and distinct brand identities which deliver it. Imagining and building simple and appropriate opportunities to create a resonance with the audience it is meant for. Working solo, or within a broader team structure –my involvement and contribution typically involves thinking and discussion, scribbling down starting points for further investigation, and finally, after due consideration - taking the simplest, most efficient and effective direction and realising into a rich, expressive and functional system. I have a professional working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop).
- OutfitteryUnfold Outfittery believe that true style is an unfolding journey – not a destination. Today and tomorrow, they are with their customers at every step, using a combination of fashion expertise and smart technology to unlock their true style. Unfold represents an idea with many meanings; the very nature of the product is a story of unboxing and unfolding, it’s an idea that represents a startup business with big ambition, ready to write the next chapter in their success story, and most importantl
- Pickle FactoryThe X-Factory The challenge was to develop a creative idea, along with the visual and verbal expression for a new property brand. The Pickle Factory is an exceptional place – an unexpected space that has been reimagined and designed to meet the needs of creative businesses across London. A place in which the future explorers of technology and innovation can perform and out-perform. A stage created for those pushing the boundaries of experimentation and expression to excel. A stunning warehouse
- Borough YardBorough Yard is a brand new development situated in a well-known and well-loved part of London, close to Bankside, The Thames, London Bridge and the Southbank. The task was to explore how we could develop the Borough Yard identity, centering around the idea of ‘BY’ and building a visual and verbal language which expresses the commercial, fashion and F&B proposition through the use of messaging, visual identity and experiential ideas. The result is a simple idea, derived from the Borough Yard nam
- TerminiNext stop. New start. My challenge was to develop the creative idea, along with the visual and verbal expression for a new business campus located at one end of Dublin’s light rail transport network, the LUAS. An idea which plays off the Termini name, using the construct of stop and start as a way of talking about the features of the development, and how easy it is to improve on the status quo, by overcoming traditional challenges and progressing toward a solution. A simple and straightforward
- AdamaSimply. Grow. Together. From early 2013 Wolff Olins worked with Makhteshim Agan Industries, a world leader in crop protection solutions, to a create a new global brand that supports farmers in meeting these challenges. The new brand is called “Adama”, Hebrew for “earth” or “soil”. Adama strives to become the first farming brand built for the 21st century: farmer focused, delivering practical products and services for field and business, using digital technology to connect and enable growers arou
- Cardiff CityHuman Capital Designed to meet the needs of their people. Human dimensions measure the success of the city. We want you to feel part of our capital. A city that belongs to you. A city of green, open spaces and blue water. A city that’s easy to get to know. A city that wants to get to know you. Opportunity for business, education and culture. A city to enjoy, to succeed in and to feel human in.
+ Show more
Design DirectorRichard Hood
London, United KingdomFreelance
My freelance career has taken me to a number of cities around the world –but London is where I began to specialise in branding and identity, as a Senior Designer at Fitch:London for 5 years, where I would help shape creative solutions to the many different projects which I would be involved with. Two major projects I was responsible for during my time there was a city wide wayfinding and signage system for the City of Liverpool, and secondly, the transformation of Kew Gardens in London into a more high profile family entertainment destination. After a year spent working in Sydney and Melbourne, and in need of a quicker pace of life, I returned to the UK and began work at Conran Design Group as an Associate Design Director. After 2 years, I found myself drawn to the world of freelance design consultancy, working as a Design Director for agencies such as: IDEO, Imagination, The Partners, Interbrand, Wolff Olins and most recently – Seymour Powell.
+ Show more
- Creative Ideas
- Brand Storytelling
- Brand Creation
- Brand Creative Strategy
- Concept Sketching
- Brand Copywriting
- Brand Development
- Print Design
- Adobe Creative Suite