I'm a writer and curator with ten years' experience in architecture and design. My words appear regularly in titles including Disegno, Wallpaper*, Frame and The Independent. I also work on editorial strategies and copywriting for brands and studios. I was previously curator of The Aram Gallery, an independent gallery dedicated to new and experimental design. My interest is in supporting emerging talent within design, through exhibition and publication. I have also written about the decline of design education for children in the UK, and projects that involve youth and community in design.
- Prototypes & ExperimentsPrototypes & Experiments is a long-running exhibition series at The Aram Gallery, dedicated to showing process in product design, furniture and architecture. I curated four editions between 2015-2020, including work by Adjaye Associates, Malgorzata Bany, Mischer'Traxler, Ineke Hans, Sam Jacob Studio, and Granby Workshop. Photo: Adam Scott
- The Independent on SundayIn 2015, I edited a weekly interiors page in The Independent on Sunday. This involved choosing a theme, selecting products and homewares, and organising loans for photoshoots. I also worked on Christmas gift suggestions, and wrote a feature on furniture choices for Generation Rent. Photo: The Independent on Sunday
- Talks & eventsI've given talks and participated in panel discussions at the Design Museum, Somerset House, Central Saint Martins and The Future Laboratory. I've moderated talks at Designjunction, 100% Design and the Delfina Foundation. I've also been an awards judge for WIRED and Design Week, and participated in brand events for De La Espada and Andreu World. Photo: De La Espada London Lecture Series 2019
- Icon MagazineI am a regular contributor to Icon magazine, a monthly publication on design, architecture and culture. I mostly write features and profiles, with recent subjects including: the decline of design education for school-age children in the UK, experimental architects Studio Ossidiana, and the rise of tactile design in electronics. Photo: Icon, Studio Ossidiana
- Blend by Raw ColorI invited multi-disciplinary design studio Raw Color to work together on an interactive solo exhibition at The Aram Gallery in September 2016. We applied for a grant from Creative Industries Fund NL, and successfully received €14,955. The exhibition was a highlight of the London Design Festival programme that year, selected as a top thing to see by Dezeen, Wallpaper*, AnOther magazine and Creative Review. Photos: Raw Color
- TolvI worked with art directors Mentsen to consult on Tolv, a new furniture brand. We developed an identity for the brand, and I established a tone of voice and house style, including a bank of words with an appropriate feel. I provided full copy for the launch website and catalogue, including crafting an effective About text. Photo: www.tolv.dk
CuratorThe Aram Gallery
London, United KingdomFull Time
I am responsible for programming five shows on architecture, craft and design a year. These are either exhibitions I curate myself according to self-directed research theme, or those I develop from outside proposals. Much of my work is in identifying emerging designers and makers who can use the gallery to take the next step in their careers. I commission graphic design identities, co-ordinate transport of exhibits, supervise installations, manage budgets and actively promote the gallery’s activities to the press and the design network. I also work with funding bodies and sponsors to support the activities of this non-commercial gallery.
Senior EditorIcon Magazine
- Loughton, United KingdomFull Time
I joined Icon magazine as a junior editor in 2010, and worked my way up to a senior role. I gained invaluable experience working in a small editorial team with regular demanding deadlines. At Icon my duties involved: pitching ideas and issue themes; writing and researching news stories, reviews and features; commissioning writers; interviewing high-profile designers and architects; and travelling to and reporting from international events. I worked with the art team to layout features and select images, and organised product photoshoots for stand-alone design reports within the magazine. I aided with checking facts and sub-editing.
+ Show more
- Public Speaking
- Content Curation
- Writing Web
- Exhibition Curation
- Writing Design
- Writing Architecture
- Commissioning Writing
- Project Management
- Programme Management
- Brand Consultancy