Organised by Camden Arts Centre
Introduction to ceramics for young artists 12-14 years, offering a fun and creative environment for experimenting with clay.
About this event
2day Children’s course: Introduction to Ceramics for Young Artists
Wed 24 Aug- Thurs 25 Aug (12-14 years)
Introduction to Ceramics for Young Artists (age 12-14years) is a two-day course, offering a fun and creative environment for young artists to experiment using a range of techniques to create their own ceramic pieces guided by artist, Shane Keeling.
During the 2day course, young artists will be introduced to ceramics, focusing on hand building, an early process of working with clay using the hands and simple tools. Day one will include practical demonstrations covering the basics of pinch pottery, coil building, and slab work. Day two will be dedicated to learning simple yet effective decorative finishes using slips and underglazes, with the opportunity to create individual ceramic works using the demonstrated techniques.
Over the 2days students will make their own ceramics artworks and/or useful objects such as plates, mugs or sculptures which will be fired at Camden Art Centre kiln and then available to take home.
Shane Keeling is a multidisciplinary artist who specialises in the making and breaking of ceramic vessels. Keeling is currently a technical manager, educator, and maker at The Kiln Rooms, Peckham. He is the presenter of a kid's art television show This Is Art Club! in his native Ireland. The focus of the show is to make art accessible for the young people of Ireland whilst educating them on the different materials, processes, and careers in the arts.
Keeling is a member of the international collective ‘Boys Don't Cry’, their aim is to bring the issue of men’s mental health into discussion within the creative industry. Keeling also runs a workshop entitled ‘BADBEASTS’ which is targeted at all-boys schools. ‘BADBEASTS’ explores the links between creativity and mental health, and aims to deconstruct the idealised version of masculinity instilled in young men by their peers.
- This course is suitable for those with little to no experience of working with ceramics.
- All materials costs are included. Size restrictions apply.
- We operate strict age restrictions on our children’s courses; please ensure you are booking onto the correct age range for your child (5-7yrs, 8-11yrs or 12-14yrs).
- This course takes place over two days. Free lunchtime care is provided over lunch break, in addition to a short morning and afternoon break. Please note that lunch is not provided, therefore all children/young people attending will need to bring a packed lunch with them.
- Booking on a course at Camden Art Centre signifies your agreement to our terms and conditions as stated in our Learning Agreement.
- Bookings are non-refundable, unless the course is cancelled by the Centre.
- The course will only go ahead if the minimum participant requirement for the course to run is met. If the course does not go ahead, bookings will be refunded.
- For every season, each person can only book and attend one of the courses on a ‘pay what you can’ ticket.
- Evidence of concessionary status must be shown on the first day of the course.
- The building is fully wheelchair accessible. Please visit our access page on our website for more information on getting here, parking and facilities.