This recipe is one of my favourites as it’s so delicious and fresh. I used fresh crab (caught the day before) but obviously that’s not necessary or possible for everyone; any crab meat will do, white or brown.
For the dip:
2 tbsp. Yogurt
2 tsp. Capers
Juice from ½ lime
1 Spring onion
Salt & Pepper
1. Peel and chop the sweet potato, then add to a saucepan of boiling water. Cook until very soft (you can use a knife to test this).
2. Finely chop the chilli and add it to a bowl with the crab, mustard, salt and pepper, and mix well.
3. When the potato is done, drain it and mash it, then add to the mixing bowl with the other ingredients.
4. Mix all the ingredients together well.
5. With your hands, make small balls of the mixture and press lightly on the top to flatten them. Then coat lightly with flour (so they don’t stick to the pan when they are cooking).
6. Heat a large frying pan and grease with rapeseed oil (any oil will be fine). Then add your crab cakes (carefully).
7. They should take 3 minutes on each side to cook, or until they are brown and crispy.
8. As you are cooking them, remove the cakes that are done onto a sheet of kitchen roll, this will soak up any unwanted oil.
9. Now to make the dip: finely chop the spring onion and capers, and add to a small bowl with the yogurt and lime juice, and season with salt and pepper.