The Women in Film project was a university project made in 2011 using film posters found on the IMP Awards website. Images were created by overlaying several film posters, placing each face in the same position and thus conveying average portrayals of on-screen beauty for each decade.
As a further experiment, we tracked down higher resolution posters from a wider range of sources. Originally, Photoshop was used to overlap the faces; this time we used Processing to blend the images together by averaging the RGB values of each pixel across all the layers. This creates a true average of the faces for each year.
The earlier version of this project was featured on Digital Arts Online.