Bernice Mulenga is a London based multidisciplinary artist, who prioritizes the use of analog processes in their work. They have a knack in archiving, documenting and asking questions. Mulenga’s work centers their community and the experiences within it—most notably in their ongoing photo series #friendsonfilm. They are also known for their set design, both in their own projects and in collaboration with others. Mulenga’s work also explores reoccurring themes surrounding their identity, sexuality, grief, family, and Congolese culture.
- #FRIENDSONFILM x AFROPUNK BROOKLYN x BBZ x FRED PERRYWas invited to take #friendsonfilm over to New York this summer for Afropunk Brooklyn courtesy of and supported by Fred Perry and BBZ! Had a #friendsonfilm installation booth with a black and champagne theme, where I welcomed people to be documented within the space. Check out more images on my site here Along with my Fred Perry interview here
- A LA MAISON, An interactive workshop with Joy Miessi and Bernice MulengaThis workshop will introduce participants to artists Bernice Mulenga and Joy Miessi’s working practices. Through a series of drawing and photography exercises, this workshop seeks to explore self-portraiture and aims to encourage participants to document our current selves through art. Throughout the workshop folks will be offered the space to contribute to our scrapbook/sketchbook. This workshop was apart of 'I'M HOME' exhibition curated by Ronan Mckenzie. Read more below! I’M HOME explores ide
- BBZ BLK BOOK ARCHIVE - BERNICE MULENGA‘bERnice mULENGa/ Pronouns: She/Her 1. Practice: Photographer 2. Location: London I am a multi-disciplinary artist focusing mainly on photography. My work and series #friendsonfilm focuses on documenting my life and community around me. It predominantly shows black people in candid, happy moments all captured on film. I started this series almost two years ago out of wanting to see my friends more documented and has grown into something bigger. What do you find most inspiring about the art/
+ Show more
Projects credited in
- Gurls Talk x Embellished Talk collectionCustom shirts designed and hand embroidered for the 'Gurls Talk x Embellished Talk' collection. Photography by Bernice Mulenga and Nwaka Okparaeke. See more detail in these links: https://gurls-talk.squarespace.com/blog-1/2017/5/24/embellished-talk-x-gurls-talk-x-nicole https://www.embellishedtalk.com/embellished-gurls-talk-nicole/
- NIKE WOMENFilm for the latest Nike sports bra collection director Eloise King depicts featured artists including Belen Leroux in a dream-like sequence set to a commissioned poem written and performed by Abondance Matanda, with original music composition by Asriel Hayes - to celebrate the strength and capability of female bodies.
- Meet 100 LGBT+ Trailblazers Redefining the Creative IndustryWe asked influential LGBT+ icons to nominate trailblazers who they believe are redefining the creator landscape. The result? A unique and incredible list of 100 trailblazing LGBT+ folk breaking barriers and inspiring change! We’re on a mission to explore and tackle inequalities in the creative industry - this is why we run diversity initiatives, dedicating our curated projects and people sections on The Dots to undersung groups. This brings together an abundance of dazzling work from diverse cr102
Online Community Engagement annd PhotogapherBBZ
- London, United KingdomFreelance
Photographer from 2017 to 2020. Online Community Engagement from 2018 to 2020. Works to note: Afropunk BBZ takeover London 2017, Afropunk New York BBZ presents Bernice Mulenga 2018, Glastonbury 2019, BBZ Alternative Graduate show 2019 and Hall of Heathens NL Pride 2020.
+ Show more
- 35mm Film Photography
- Adobe Photoshop
- 120 Film
- Creative Art Direction
- Set Design
- Adobe Lightroom
- Photo Assisting
- Event Photography