Bernice Mulenga (b. 1996) is a multidisciplinary artist working within design practice, writing and works heavily with analog film photography. Bernice is currently based in London. Their work centers around the documentation of their life, community and the experiences of Black people in the UK. This is seen directly in Mulenga's ongoing photo series '#friendsonfilm', which also focus' on how people maneuver in various spaces and documenting these candid moments. Their work also explores the reoccurring themes around their identity, sexuality, race and Congolese culture. They have been included in exhibitions such as Gal-Dem x House Of Vans:“Documenting Living London” and BBZ (2nd birthday), screenings with Red Bull Sweden, featured in/worked with publications such as British Vogue, Editorial Magazine and Basis Magazine, Bernice has also spoken on a panel with AZ HUB (By AZ MAG).
- #FRIENDSONFILM x AFROPUNK BROOKLYN x BBZ x FRED PERRYWas invited to take #friendsonfilm over to New York this summer for Afropunk Brooklyn courtesy of and supported by Fred Perry and BBZ! Had a #friendsonfilm installation booth with a black and champagne theme, where I welcomed people to be documented within the space. Check out more images on my site here Along with my Fred Perry interview here
- A LA MAISON, An interactive workshop with Joy Miessi and Bernice MulengaThis workshop will introduce participants to artists Bernice Mulenga and Joy Miessi’s working practices. Through a series of drawing and photography exercises, this workshop seeks to explore self-portraiture and aims to encourage participants to document our current selves through art. Throughout the workshop folks will be offered the space to contribute to our scrapbook/sketchbook. This workshop was apart of 'I'M HOME' exhibition curated by Ronan Mckenzie. Read more below! I’M HOME explores ide
- BBZ BLK BOOK ARCHIVE - BERNICE MULENGA‘bERnice mULENGa/ Pronouns: She/Her 1. Practice: Photographer 2. Location: London I am a multi-disciplinary artist focusing mainly on photography. My work and series #friendsonfilm focuses on documenting my life and community around me. It predominantly shows black people in candid, happy moments all captured on film. I started this series almost two years ago out of wanting to see my friends more documented and has grown into something bigger. What do you find most inspiring about the art/
+ Show more
Projects credited in
- Gurls Talk x Embellished Talk collectionCustom shirts designed and hand embroidered for the 'Gurls Talk x Embellished Talk' collection. Photography by Bernice Mulenga and Nwaka Okparaeke. See more detail in these links: https://gurls-talk.squarespace.com/blog-1/2017/5/24/embellished-talk-x-gurls-talk-x-nicole https://www.embellishedtalk.com/embellished-gurls-talk-nicole/
- NIKE WOMENFilm for the latest Nike sports bra collection director Eloise King depicts featured artists including Belen Leroux in a dream-like sequence set to a commissioned poem written and performed by Abondance Matanda, with original music composition by Asriel Hayes - to celebrate the strength and capability of female bodies.
+ Show more
- 35mm Film Photography
- Adobe Photoshop
- Dslr Videography
- 120 Film
- Adobe Illustrator