You can only message people who are following you. If you’d like to message this person, simply join our Recruiter Pro Plan.
I’m a music lover and University of Bristol graduate looking for an opportunity to work in a job that truly excites me. There is little that excites me more than music and events. Learning to DJ aged 15 prompted me to set up my own events business providing sound and lighting equipment and DJs for mostly private parties around East Anglia, catering for all ages and playing anything from soul to dubstep, which continued for over 3 years. Bristol’s musical heritage played a large part in my decision to go to university there and I was fortunate to see some incredible and inspiring artists whilst living in the city. Having spotted a gap in the market for a student night that focused on the reggae and drum & bass for which the city is famous, a couple of friends and I set up and ran the club night ‘Uprisal’, which reached capacity at all our events. I loved the experience, from branding and flyer design to digital strategy and of course the nights themselves. I still get involved in events as much as I can, whether it be DJing around the country, planning for private parties or helping set up large scale events such as this year’s Secret Garden Party. I left Bristol last summer with a 2.1 in English and took an internship at Concrete PR, a small music PR firm specialising in underground music. I learned online promotional strategy, developed relationships with the press and built the company’s contact database. I also got the opportunity to express my opinion by writing reviews and articles for the blog. I relished the opportunity to work with music that I felt passionate about and the experience has only strengthened my desire to work in music. I've spent the last three months working as an interning assistant for two electronic music booking agencies. I was given responsibility from the start in the small team and had to learn details quickly to bring my standards up to the company’s. My organisation has benefitted from building artists’ itineraries, as I would have to find the best option for multiple parties, often in high-pressure situations. I practiced writing and editing by updating artists’ biographies, Photoshopping photos and creating events and news content. I also gained an invaluable insight into the structure and management of a successful small business. Although much of my experience has been in underground music, I have a varied and open taste and would be happy working with any type of event or musical genre. Reading English at University has made me a confident writer and orator and has also taught me the value of well thought out time management. The degree’s limited contact hours and deadline-based tasks have left me well practiced in organising my own workload and motivating myself to complete set work. Independent research played a key part in my degree, but as my CV shows, I’m used to working in a team and thrive in an interactive environment.
• Interning assistant for two electronic music booking agencies. • Responsible for artists’ itineraries and promoter liaison. • Kept the system and website up to date, including writing biographies, news and social media content and editing pictures on Photoshop.
• Planned, set up and co-managed club-based music events for up to 400 people at a major venue in Bristol. • Targeted and recruited artists, promoting each event through social media and local advertising.
• Digital strategy for artist campaigns and events promotions. • Wrote articles for the Concrete Blog & Newsletter. • Ran the website ‘Tune Of The Day’, choosing content and liaising with contributors.
• Member of the sales team working door-to-door and at events selling subscriptions for the fresh flowers delivery service.
• Worked with the PR & Digital Strategy teams gaining an insight into how a global communications network works and why it is integral to business today. • Researched and helped develop contract pitches, using social media and Internet research to identify future trends and target audiences for clients.
• Worked alongside crew and cast on an active film set. • Gained a varied insight into the production of a modern film.
• Spent time helping with and being educated on the production process of two TV series. • Recruited and casted possible contestants for reality TV game show.
• Set up the company with two others, providing lighting, sound systems and DJs for both private and public events.
• Helped to edit a BBC1 comedy sketch show. • Also spent time learning from an independent dubbing mixer and doing various running jobs.
• BA (Hons) in English: 2.1