- Project management, design and layout – The Rough Guide to Make the Most of Your Time on EarthThis weighty tome for Rough Guides was designed to have a magazine-style look and feel. I came up with the visual concept, art directed and commissioned designers to work on it as well as undertook some of the design work myself. I was responsible for the first two editions of the book and it's now into the fourth edition, using the same basic design concept.
- Book design and layout – coffee table booksCool Places is the sister company of Cool Camping and this is the first book to be published by the online accommodation booking platform. I was responsible for working closely with the editor and authors and undertook all the design, layout and image correction.
- Information design – The National Forest CompanyThe National Forest Company are bidding for Heritage Lottery funding so that they can manage the landscape in an area of Leicestershire for community access. As part of the bid, they needed to supply a lot of information about the area and what they intend to do with the money. I was tasked with coming up with a visual identity for the project and design it into a coherent booklet.
- Project management and commissioningFor this collaboration between the National Literacy Trust and the Premier League, I was tasked with commissioning an illustrator, pulling all the content together and overseeing the circulation and sign-off process for a 90-page poetry book. This involved adhering to the Premier League’s strict brand guidelines as well as liaising with the various personnel involved in the project across the two organisations.
+ View all
Freelance designerDiana Jarvis design
London, United KingdomFreelance
Freelance jobs have included: book cover and layout design for Lonely Planet, University of Westminster Press, Duckworth Publishers, LSE Press, Punk Publishing (Cool Camping), The National Forest Company and Explore Books; various marketing collateral (print and digital) for Aspire Marketing, Bright Bee Comms, Travel PR, The British Guild of Travel Writers and Hamilton PR among others.
DesignerNational Literacy Trust
- London, United KingdomFreelance
I was responsible for creating a wide range of print and digital marketing materials – including social media assets, posters, flyers, fundraising packs, digital downloads – to support a growing literacy charity. This was a part-time, in-house role.
+ Show more
- Adobe Indesign
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Lightroom
- Colour Correction
- Print Design
- Digital Design
- Publishing Design
MSc Environment and SustainabilityBirkbeck College, University of London
- London, United Kingdom
As a result of my years working as a travel photographer, I was increasingly asked to write alongside my images. I didn't feel I had enough knowledge or critical thinking skills to really call myself a writer so I decided to embark on a master's degree. I wanted to have a knowledge base from which to draw a standpoint and opinion which would inform both my photography and writing. In the era of climate change, an academic grounding in environmental matters is applicable to all industries and it is invaluable to my work as a a designer, too. My thesis topic is about responsible photography and image use in the UK travel press.
+ Show more