I am a freelance writer, editor and music specialist, based in London. After spending four years as the sub-editor and a staff writer at Record Collector, the UK’s longest-running monthly music magazine, I decided it was time to branch out. I have created digital and SEO content for brands such as Hades Wool, Universal Music, Refinery 29 and Lush – whose March 2020 campaign I also worked on, as part of the copywriting team. I have written artist biographies for record labels, puff pieces for sales magazines, first person experiences for women’s magazines and beauty best-of lists, among many other things. I currently work as the News Editor for Warner Music's site, Dig! and as a freelance sub-editor for The Times as well as continuing to write for various outlets including Uncut magazine. Whether it is creating playlists for companies, research for specialist publications, writing copy, transcribing interviews, or subbing, I love it all, and am keen to hear about any projects where I may be a fit.
- Potential Crimes Of PopI was asked to be "Judge Hannah" for a Beatles bookazine special, where I got to look over some of the singles that pipped the Beatles to the number one chart spot and decide whether it deserved to get to No 1 or not. I loved doing this. Though the Editor decided Bowie was right to beat them. I still disagree...
- Lush ECC Records InterviewI interviewed the CEO of Lush Cosmetics, Mark Constantine, about the company's record label, ECC. We discussed why he set up a label, the importance of vinyl, and how he chooses what to release. Following this I was commissioned to write a similar piece for their website, and to do some copywriting for their 2020 range.
- For The Record: The Evolution Of Lush Music And ECC Recordsfollowing my interview with lush's CEO about their record label, I was invited to write a piece about it for their own website. I interviewed the label manager and the producer to find out the method behind the label. The full piece can be read here: https://uk.lush.com/article/record-evolution-lush-music-and-ecc-records
- I'm 24 & I Can't Spend The Night Away From HomeAn incredibly personal piece I wrote for Refinery 29 in 2018 about my experiences with panic disorder. This was translated for the German R29 site, generated a huge amount of engagement and was featured on both the MSN and Yahoo! news front pages. The full piece can be read here: https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/panic-disorder-symptoms-treatment
- How To Avoid Touching Your FaceThis was a piece I wrote for Refinery 29 about the difficulties of following the cover-19 guidelines when you struggle with dermatillomania. It was a mix of factual, first person and an interview with a dermatologist. The full piece can be found here: https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/how-to-stop-touching-your-face
+ View all
Freelance Writer & EditorSelf Employed
London, United KingdomFreelance
I am a freelance writer, editor and music specialist, based in London. After spending four years as the sub-editor and a staff writer at Record Collector, the UK’s longest-running monthly music magazine, I decided it was time to branch out. I have created digital and SEO content for brands such as Universal Music, Refinery 29 and Lush – whose March 2020 campaign I also worked on, as part of the copywriting team. I have written artist biographies for record labels, puff pieces for sales magazines, first person experiences for women’s magazines and beauty best-of lists, among many other things.
Sub-editor/Staff WriterRecord Collector
- London, United KingdomFull Time
I worked as a staff writer and sub-editor for Record Collector, the UK’s longest running monthly music magazine. I created all manner of content – from monthly columns to features and social media posts. I edited a huge amount of copy; wrote coverlines, captions, standfirsts, puns, credits, competitions, apology letters, crosswords and edited inappropriate content within an inch of its life. I commissioned and wrote cover features, wrote last-minute pieces when those commissions fell through, or when breaking news required us to chase a story. I also interviewed an array of musicians, including Patti Smith.
- Article Writing
- Content Writing
- Arts Writing
- Arts Research
- Archival Research
- Copy Proofing
BAKing’s College London
- London, United Kingdom
I attended Kings College London from 2012 to 2015, gaining a BA in English Literature graded 2:1.
3 A Levels (AAB)Nower Hill High School
- London, United Kingdom
I attended Nower Hill High School from 2006 to 2012. I achieved AAB at A Level (English, Politics, History) and 12 GCSEs graded between A*-B