I’m an experienced, award winning Art Director designing for magazines such as Lonely Planet magazine, olive and BBC Top Gear magazine. Excellent photography, design and typography are a passion of mine. I commission and create beautiful, aspirational, visual content, exceptional magazine covers and page layout.
- Havana, CubaWriter Christa Larwood and photographer Philip Lee Harvey go behind the city's crumbling colonial exteriors and find there's a whole world to be discovered. I used textured backgrounds and distressed type to give the impression of Havana's crumbling buildings and chose bold contrasting images to show off the vibrancy of its residents.
+ View all
Projects credited in
- Good Place magazine: issue twoAs editor of Good Place magazine, I'm excited to share some spreads from the just-published issue two. It was a real pleasure commissioning the work of such a talented bunch of writers and photographers, and to come together with Hayley Ward again on the art direction. https://www.goodplacemag.com/issue-two
- Feature: Polar Night in the ArcticI'm constantly drawn to the untold or misunderstood stories of a place, and to locations where life is lived very differently to my own in London. For this feature for Lonely Planet magazine, that meant travelling to the far northern reaches of Sweden in December – a time when the sun doesn't rise at all – and finding out how the locals get through the long winter. As you can see, a lack of sun doesn't mean that the region is drained of colour - quite the opposite. Images by Jon Stokes; layout
- Drawn to SvalbardSvalbard must be one of the most unique places in the world. You are not allowed to be born or die there; you can't leave the main town of Longyearbyen without an armed guide in case a polar bear takes an interest in you; it's home to an abandoned but completely intact Soviet town; and it has a surprisingly diverse population, thanks for its visa-free status. I went with photographer Jonathan Gregson (www.jonathangregson.co.uk) to research a story on the old fur-trappers, who would arrive from m
- Wolf-tracking in SwedenOne of the reasons I love covering wildlife in features is that you have no control over what you might see: you can plan something for months and have all the patience in the world, but if the wildlife doesn't show, there's not much you can do about it. The fun comes in what you do about it, how you work creatively to change your angle. For this story, photographer Jonathan Gregson and I travelled to central Sweden for a story on tracking wolves. We saw no wolves, we heard no wolves. The angle
- Great Escape to UgandaPhotographer Jonathan Gregson (www.jonathangregson.co.uk) and I went to Uganda to research a feature for Lonely Planet magazine's 10th-year anniversary issue, focussing on a theme of unusual adventures. The things that stay with me from that trip aren't the more conventional once-in-a-lifetimey ones (seeing gorillas and chimps in the wild) but a couple of less familiar ones: spending time with cattle herders (Ankole cattle have the best horns in the world: fact), and managing to find a rare an
+ Show more
Art DirectorGood Place magazine
Recently I have been working with Amanda Canning founder and editor of Good Place, a brand new travel magazine. Design, art direction and production of issues1&2.
- Commissioning Photographers
- Commissioning Illustration
- Commissioning Content
- Creative Art Direction
- Creative Leadership
- Editoral Design
- Magazine Design
- Print Design
- Magazine Layout