Studio Katie Kerr is a graphic design practice that focusses on the creation of publications, identities and printed materials in the broad field of the contemporary cultural sector. From my studio at the bottom of the world, I have produced publications for a range of international clients, publishers, artists and cultural institutions. With a background in advertising and branding, I now lend my hand to all aspects of book design, from typesetting to illustration to cover design. I can spot a typo from three miles away.
- What Adults Don't Know About Art / ArchitectureCover and book design for two books by Alain de Botton and The School of Life. The design for What Adults Don’t Know About Art and What Adults Don’t Know About Architecture is based on John Berger’s Ways of Seeing, engaging young readers with a visual-led narrative that covers lessons in aesthetics, history and philosophy.
- Can I Borrow Your Spoon?Cover, layout, typesetting, map design and illustration for an artist book. Can I Borrow Your Spoon? is a 272-page book and exhibition of paintings and writings by Rebecca Commissaris and Aaron Patzer. The book follows the artist’s 3000km journey on the Te Araroa Trail and includes 116 paintings and texts produced over four months on the path. I also designed the collateral for the opening exhibition.
- What Can I Do When I Grow Up?Cover, layout, typesetting and graphic design for a children's book by Alain de Botton and The School of Life. A truly international collaboration, I worked with illustrator Tyla Mason (South Africa) and publishing manager Srijana Gurung (UK) to produce a publication that made the world of work exciting to young readers. The book was a finalist at the PANZ Book Design Awards, 2020.
- Bee CuriousCover, layout, typesetting, illustration and design for a publication for Kantar and The School of Life. Taking queues from the experimental paperbacks of the 1960s, I worked with Kantar (USA) and The School of Life (UK) to create this book that redefined the strategic direction of the world-leading data company.
- The Vices and Virtues of CollaborationCover, layout, typesetting and graphic design for Dropbox and The School of Life. I worked with illustrator James Munro (UK) to produce this fun paperback. The book shone a philosophical lens to the vices and virtues of collaboration, identifying clear parallels between human behaviour today and that of ancient Greece.
+ View all
Projects credited in
- What Can I Do When I Grow Up?Illustrations and cover for The School of Life's 'What Can I Do When I Grow Up', a book that helps guide young people around careers, money and the future. Author: Alain de Botton Graphic Designer: Katie Kerr Illustrator: Tyla Mason Publisher: The School of Life Publishing Manager: Srijana Gurung https://www.theschooloflife.com/shop/what-can-i-do-when-i-grow-up/
Book DesignerStudio Katie Kerr
Auckland, New ZealandFreelance
Studio Katie Kerr is a graphic design practice that focusses on the creation of publications, identities and printed materials in the broad field of the contemporary cultural sector.
+ Show more
- Print Design
- Art Direction
- Visual Storytelling
- Book Design
- Publication Design
- Print Publications
- Book Covers
- Book Illustrations