I have over 20 years experience as an Arts Professional specialising in visual art, food, moving image and performance. I am a studio holder at Grand Union Studios, Birmingham I am an Honorary Research Associate at the University of Birmingham in support of my ongoing research into the curation of relational practices and participatory art projects, specifically relating to food. I co-founded Companis Food Provocateurs (2009-14), a provocative company which used the charge of lewd suggestion and the power of women’s laughter, producing bespoke experiences which immersed the diners in a fusion of performance, food and spectacle. www.companis.co.uk I have 15 years experience working as a Curator and Project Manager specialising in visual art, food, moving image and performance. Clients, employers and commissioners have included the Barbican Art Gallery, London; New Art Gallery, Walsall; Situations, Bristol; Ikon Gallery, Vivid Projects, Library of Birmingham, Capsule, mac, Birmingham Hippodrome, University of Birmingham; BIAD School of Art and UCE, Birmingham. Current research interests include: Multisensory dining and experiences that engage all of the senses Artists using food, in particular artists who don’t normally use food or dining within their practice Artist/chef collaborations and artists taking over the kitchen Site responsive dining and events in unusual architectural spaces Food histories Cross-disciplinary collaborations Food as an immersive filmic experience Food and performance
- Backwards Running DinnerCommissioned by Birmingham Literature Festival as part of their 20th anniversary festival, Backward Running Dinner took participants on an edible journey through the tales written by Jim Crace in his extraordinary work The Devil’s Larder. https://kayewinwood.com/project/backward-running-dinner/
- Rocket FuelA collaboration with immersive theatre company Little Earthquake to commemorate the 50 year anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon-landing. Rocket Fuel presented this groundbreaking mission as one single spectacular event combining performance, sound, projection, live cameras and food. A veritable feast for all the senses.
- Expanded IntimacyExpanded Intimacy is a series of glassware created to explore touch, taste and smell, and the relationship between hand, mouth, tongue and nose. Developed in collaboration with artist Nuala Clooney, Expanded Intimacy explores the interplay between object and body particularly in relation to the sensualisation of food and drink experiences. These unique glasses can be used in dining experiences and performance which transgress conventional modes of eating; using food, performance, texture, weigh
- LA PETITE MORTLA PETITE MORT is a new series of works in progress exploring the exhilarating ‘losses’ that occur during a sexual climax. A French term literally translating as ‘the little death’ – which commonly refers to an orgasm – to describe the temporary bodily and psychological ‘loss’ one experiences during climax. In the 16th century the term la petite mort was originally used to refer to a nervous spasm or a fainting episode, it even appeared in work by the 19th century writer and poet Thomas Hardy.
+ View all
Artist / ProducerKaye Winwood Projects
Birmingham, United KingdomFreelance
Artist / Producer exploring new forms of #ExpandedDining / Grand Union Studio holder / Producer Ikon Gallery / Feeney Fellow / UoB Research Assoc / Peer Reviewer at FEAST Journal In 2016 I applied the term ‘Expanded Dining’ to reflect my ‘beyond the plate’ approach to dining experiences and invited Dr Elisa Oliver to explore this terminology with me, which resulted in a new piece of writing Expanded Dining-PDF (Elisa Oliver, 2015) and a subsequent text Expanded Dining: Beyond the Plate published in ‘Spaces for Eating’, FEAST in 2018. This research is ongoing.
Creative Producer, Curator and Project ManagerFreelance
I am a Creative Producer of unforgettable experiences to delight and bring people together through food, art and laughter. I work in collaboration with chefs, performers, set designers and artists to create a range of unique and immersive experiences.
+ Show more
- Visual Arts
- Creative Producer
- Project Budget Management
- Project Event Management
- Dining Table
- Immersive Experience
- Writing Arts
- Copy Editng
- Research and Concept Development
- Practice-led Research
- Researching new Ideas
- Reviewing art
- Food Design
Feeney FellowshipJohn Feeney Charitable TrustI was awarded a Feeney Fellowship in 2018. It has enabled me to harness new working methods and processes to reimagine the creative potential of food and eating - including casting, moulding, 3D printing and molecular gastronomy. This research is ongoing.
+ Show more