- Article — To combat Poland’s culture of shame, one designer is creating educational sex toysWithout compulsory sex education, Poland’s schools are failing today’s youth. I interviewed Domka Spytek who designs intriguing, colourful, and interactive games for people of all ages to learn about their bodies.
- Article — Does Romain Mader’s satire on sex tourism in Ukraine do more harm than good?In 2017, the €20,000 Foam Paul Huf photographic prize went to a fictional project by Swiss photographer Romain Mader about a man who goes looking for a bride in eastern Europe. I wrote about why Mader's attempt at cheap humour did not deserve the victory.
+ View all
Projects credited in
- The Calvert Journal – Being LGBTQ seriesA major new series exploring and celebrating LGBTQ life in culture, politics and beyond #BeingLGBTQ A trend towards conservatism and the heralding of so-called “traditional values” across the New East has undoubtedly had a punishing effect on the LGBTQ community. In recent years, a number of anti-LGBTQ repressions — from Russia’s infamous “gay propaganda” law to the return of far-right politics in Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic — have contributed towards an image of eastern Europe, the C24
- New East Photo Prize 2018 – OPEN for entries. Deadline: 15 June 2018Find out more and submit your project here. The New East Photo Prize celebrates contemporary photography from Eastern Europe, the Balkans, Russia and Central Asia. The New East Photo Prize champions artistic excellence in photography. The prize recognises practitioners offering representations of the social, cultural and physical landscape of the New East and other perspectives on that region. Although hugely diverse, the countries of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union are often represented in an outdated manner which negates the rich culture and variety of creative output from these nations. The prize seeks to broaden perceptions of the New East through the medium of photography. Its inaugural edition in 2016 received a total of 1,030 entries from 25 New East countries. You can find out more here. The New East Photo Prize is a project of Calvert 22 Foundation, supported by its online award-winning magazine, The Calvert Journal.2
Managing EditorThe Calvert Journal
Strand, London WC2R 1LA, UKFull Time
I am the editor responsible for our Photography, Fashion, and Design sections, as well as managing the content calendar to ensure the site is updated daily. My aim to draw attention to the contemporary culture of Eastern Europe by commissioning, editing, writing, and uploading daily features, large-scale digital projects, and though-provoking opinion pieces. In my time at TCJ, I have strengthened our coverage of photography by commissioning regular photo stories, interviewing prominent and emerging photographers, and writing a Photo of the Week series. I have also contributed to the launch and development of the New East Photo Prize, the events programme of the New East Photo Prize Weekend, and produced digital projects to accompany the final exhibition.
Publications EditorChamber NYC
- 20 W 44th St, New York, NY 10036, USAFreelance
Produced the print and digital catalogues for the inaugural design exhibition curated by Dutch design duo, Studio Job. This included writing and editing all copy and co-ordinating visuals.
- Cultural Journalism
- Editorial Commissioning
- Digital Journalism
- Commissioning Photographers
- Project Management
- Critical Writing
- Artist Interviews