After graduating from Edinburgh University with an MA in Religious Studies and MSc in Islamic & Middle Eastern Studies I spent five years working in the Middle East. Based in Lebanon I worked in both print and online journalism in rolls including as a feature writer, breaking news reporter, copy editor, photographer, and later as a desk editor in charge of a newsroom responsible for commissioning, delegating breaking news coverage, and the upload of copy to widely subscribed news websites. In addition to the UK, and Lebanon, I have worked in countries including Iraq, Syria, Turkey, Ethiopia, Tunisia, and Egypt. Now based in London, I am currently working on an exciting documentary project with Superfolk Films, an independent production company, and as a researcher and script-writer for a world-leading cultural consultancy.
- Martyrs (working title)In October 2017 I began working with the London-based production company Superfolk Films on an exciting documentary project, in partnership with The Guardian. Set for release in 2019, the film tells the story of the 8 British volunteers who have died fighting against ISIS in Syria.
- Barker Langham ConsultancyIn June 2018 I began work as a freelance Scriptwriter and Researcher for Barker Langham, one of the world's leading cultural consultancies. My work has encompassed conducting research and writing scripts for museum panels, interactive games, and audiovisual displays, and helping to translate video interviews conducted in Arabic into English - for exciting cultural projects in the United Arab Emirates, focused on the country's rich culture and heritage.
- TAITU Soul-fuelled Stompers from 1970s EthiopiaTaitu’ is a collection of soul-fuelled stompers straight from the dancefloors of 1970s Addis Ababa released by the renowned BBE record label in 2018. The 24-track compilation was put together by Lebanese DJ and crate-digger Ernesto Chahoud from original vinyl records dug in Addis Ababa in 2016, and covers the “golden age” of Ethiopian music which saw bands experiment with an armful of influences: gliding through R&B, rock & roll, jazz, funk, soul and boogaloo resulting in distinctly Ethiopian
- Love and war in Lebanon: how theatre is turning rival fighters into friendsWhen rehearsals for a new play began in Tripoli, the actors all carried knives and one smuggled in a grenade. But this cultural collaboration has brought traditional enemies together and formed powerful friendships across a divided city... This feature article written for The Guardian, as part of the newspaper's Rockerfeller Association supported "Resilient Cities" project looks at how Lebanese actors and NGOs have developed innovative projects aimed at alleviating sectarian tension, and bringi
+ View all
Consultant Researcher, Script WriterBarker Langham
London, United KingdomFreelance
In June 2018 I began work as a freelance Scriptwriter and Researcher for Barker Langham, one of the world's leading cultural consultancies. My work has encompassed conducting research and writing scripts for museum panels, interactive games, and audiovisual displays, and helping to translate video interviews conducted in Arabic into English - for exciting museum projects in the United Arab Emirates, focused on the country's rich culture and heritage.
StudentMet Film School
- London, United KingdomFull Time
Intensive course focused on developing theoretical understanding, and practical documentary-makingskills, including developing camera (Sony EX-3) and sound recording, and editing and post-production capabilities (Adobe Premiere Pro).
+ Show more
- Feature Writer
- Editorial Copy
- Online Journalism
- Print Journalism
- Photo Editing
- Social Media Management
- Qualitative Research
- News Reporting
3 A Grades at A level (English, Religious Studies, History, and one A grade in AS ArtCharterhouse School
Godalming, United Kingdom
MSc Islamic and Middle Eastern StudiesThe University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh, United Kingdom
15,000 word dissertation on institutional development of Shia Islam as a political force, and "state religion" in pre-modern Iran. In depth study of Islamic ideologues whose discourse has inspired the development of post-revolutionary Iran (Shariati, Al-e Ahmed, Khomeini), and modern militant Islamism (e.g. Mawdudi, Hassan al-Banna, and Sayd Qutb)
+ Show more
HEFAT (Hostile Environment First Aid Training) CertifiedRPS PartnershipCompleted a three-day intensive course lead by a former marine with over 20 years of military experience. Participated in both in-class training and scenarios l aimed to simulate situations that journalists may realistically face in the field, covering topics including: Emergency first aid, Digital Security, Situational Awareness, Kidnapping/Navigating Checkpoints/Reaction under Gunfire