I’ve been a self-supporting freelance editor, translator, and social media manager since 2007. Now I’m looking to settle down in a company environment. In my decade as a freelancer, I have always ensured that my content is of the highest standard. As someone who has often combined self-motivated work with study, I’m very used to managing multiple tasks simultaneously, and working to tight deadlines. I adapt quickly to new people and environments, and I am excellent at identifying what needs doing where, and who I should contact to make it happen. Above all, it’s important to me that my colleagues feel valued and supported. Success requires community.
- Trans-European DivisionFreelance Translator, Copyeditor, Digital Copywriter (2007-present) One of my long-term clients for translation, copywriting, and proofreading is the Trans-European Division of Seventh-day Adventists. I’ve run and produced online content on Twitter during major events, edited for the UK magazine tedNEWS, and written and copy-edited for the Dutch magazine Advent). adventist.nl / bit.ly/2wAiwYf
- Fantasies of Contemporary CultureOrganiser and Social Media Manager (2015-2016) As a popular culture scholar I organised an international conference of academics and professionals working on sci-fi, fantasy, and horror. I created the conference website and content, ran the Facebook and Twitter accounts, and was in charge of all e-mail communications. culturalfantasies.wordpress.com
- British Association for Victorian StudiesOrganiser and Communications Officer (2016-2017) I co-organised a major international conference of Victorian scholars at Cardiff University, for which I managed (and set up) the conference website, social media accounts, and all official e-mail communications. I also wrote and edited most of the content for these platforms. BAVS2016.co.uk
- Genealogy of the PosthumanEditor and Publicity Officer (2017-present) The Critical Posthumanism Network’s Genealogy of the Posthuman project is a growing peer-reviewed, online and multi-authored resource that traces thought on ‘the posthuman’. I am part of the editorial team, and manage the Genealogy’s web content and social media outlets. criticalposthumanism.net
- Poetry InternationalWeb Editor and Social Media Manager (2012-2014) As Web Editor I was responsible for sourcing and editing a multilingual collection of poems, translations, audio and video recordings, biographies, articles, and reviews, updated bi-weekly. I also sent out a regular newsletter and managed the organisation’s social media outlets. During my tenure the site’s monthly readership doubled, and our social media engagement saw comparable growth. poetryinternational.org
Editor, Genealogy of the Posthuman
London, United KingdomFreelance
The Critical Posthumanism Network’s Genealogy of the Posthuman project (criticalposthumanism.net/genealogy) is a growing peer-reviewed, online and multi-authored resource that traces the prefigurations, currency and evolving potential of contemporary thought on the posthuman. I am part of the editorial team, and manage the Genealogy’s web content and social media outlets.
Translator, editor, and copywriter
I have supported myself as a freelance translator (Dutch-English), copywriter, editor, and proofreader since 2007. My long-term clients have included the University of Amsterdam (academic editing and proofreading), the Trans-European Division of Seventh-day Adventists (translation, copywriting, and proofreading—for online content, the UK magazine tedNEWS, and the Dutch magazine Advent; bit.ly/2wAiwYf), the literary magazine Versal (proofreading; versaljournal.org), and the Critical Posthumanism Network (editing and proofreading). Sample portfolio available on request.
+ Show more
- Social Media
- Copy Proofing
- Microsoft Office
- Content Management
- Event Organisation
- Team Managament
PHD in English Literature
Cardiff, United Kingdom
My PhD (fully funded by Cardiff University's College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences) looks at the way contemporary, commercial remix artists appropriate literature, fine art, and heritage culture. During the course of this project I wrote on many topics, from literary monster mashup and GIF art to Star Wars and popular feminism. My pursuit of this degree has also included the organisation of conferences, workshops, research trips, film screenings, and other academic and public engagement activities. I'll be defending my completed thesis, 'Frankenfiction: Monstrous Adaptations and Gothic Histories in Twenty-First-Century Remix Culture', in November.
MA (cum laude)
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
The 'English language and culture' Master's programme at the University of Amsterdam covers precisely what its name implies. It's an interdisciplinary degree covering linguistics, literature, film, television, fine art, and popular culture, with a focus on English-language texts. For my specialisation I focused on popular culture, studying the effects of globalisation, colonialism, and capitalism on English- language media. My MA thesis looked at the way children are depicted as both not- quite-human and superhuman in popular culture.
+ Show more