I am a director, writer, producer and editor. Having worked as a Digital Producer for Tate galleries, I have moved freelance, working with brands to create film content that speaks to their developmental audiences. My short film, Temple, about the South Asian queer experience is currently showcasing at festivals worldwide. I am also writing a book about anti-racism in the cultural sector, due for publication in 2022.
- TempleQueer stories are often simplified to show ‘coming out’ as liberation. In truth, our journeys towards self-acceptance meander from this linear path and continue to do so long after we wave rainbow flags at Pride. Our past trauma haunts us. We seek to find acceptance from our family, friends, society, and often - religion. ‘Temple’ is a mediation on how we unhealthily look for acceptance in our external world. This is my first short film, developed in partnership with Lotus Visual Productions. I
- Queer GriefI was commissioned by Heart of Glass to direct a conversation between activists June Bellebono and Kei Bennett about how grief affects the queer community. The film is in depth and cathartic exploration of a rarely discussed topic that balances heavy emotions with lightness and honesty. The full film can be seen on the Heart of Glass website.
- Dance Umbrella: SAY AFSAY AF is an artistic collaboration between dancers Sarah Golding and Yukiko Masui (SAY) and friends (AF). Four musicians / bands contributed music which the dancers choreographed and performed to. Each of the four pieces have their own aesthetic and were filmed in a different style. The film was an opportunity to translate what would have been a single performance into a cinematic film for audiences during the COVID-19 pandemic. We filmed many of the internal scenes in the majestic Earth Hackn
- Paines Plough: Sessions TrailerWhilst working with Paines Plough as a Digital Producer, I was also commissioned by the theatre company to direct and edit a trailer to advertise their upcoming show - Sessions. In addition, I created content with the cast and crew speaking about some of the themes within the play - particularly focusing on Black men and their mental health.
- Brownton Abbey: All I Ever WantedI directed and edited this performance piece by Malik Nashad Sharpe for Brownton Abbey - a dance performance collective focusing on the disabled QTIPOC experience. The film was shot in the Grand Hall of Battersea Arts Centre. I wanted to give the audience a sense of the space and majestic, but juxtapose this with more intimate shots of Malik performing to camera. I graded the film with bright reds and yellows, bringing out the brown tones of the setting to evoke fire - a key motif within Mali
- ALFAZ: Shamsa aur QamarI conceptualised, directed, produced and edited this fashion campaign for ALFAZ - a high end South Asian womenswear brand. The film is a celebration of motherhood and sisterhood and is based upon a quote from the Quran about the sun and the moon. The brand’s creative director, Ash Kabir, was inspired by his mother and her twin sister. Their names are Shamsa and Qamar - which translate as sun and moon in the Arabic language. The motivation behind the film was to create something contemporary t
+ View all
Projects credited in
- From a Place of Love | Zanele Muholi | Tate ExchangeMembers of the QTIPOC community (Queer, Trans, and Intersex People Of Colour) reflect on their experience of ‘home’ and ‘love’. Filmed in an exhibition of Zanele Muholi's art at Tate Modern prior to lockdown, participants responded to Muholi’s work and debated whether Tate can be a home for queer people of colour.
- Kara Walker – 'I'm an Unreliable Narrator' | Fons AmericanusA short doc on artist Kara Walker's Fons Americanus, a 13-metre tall working fountain inspired by the Victoria Memorial in front of Buckingham Palace, London. Created for the 2019 Hyundai Commission, it is one of the most ambitious installations in Tate Modern's Turbine Hall to date. Rather than a celebration of the British Empire, Walker’s fountain explores the interconnected histories of Africa, America and Europe. She uses water as a key theme, referring to the transatlantic slave trade and
Digital ProducerPaines Plough
London, United KingdomFreelance
I direct, produce and edit film content for Paines Plough, including trailers for shows and performance captures for digital audiences.
+ Show more