Tom has designed award-winning furniture, products and experiences, working with brands such as Panasonic, Virgin Galactic, John Lewis, Microsoft, Industry Plus & the V&A Museum. Graduating with a 1st Class Honors Degree in Industrial Design, Tom has gone on to design and lead projects for pioneering studios, working on international projects for product, lighting, furniture, transport and space travel sectors. Essential, a sustainable furniture system designed by Tom and his team at Viewport Studio, was awarded Furniture Design of the Year at the Dezeen Awards 2020. Recently, Tom was featured by Elle Decor Italia as "The very young and new promise of international design, Tom Robinson". Tom is now looking to work with pioneering brands, manufacturers and people. Get in touch.
- The Evolve ChairMade from 100% recycled plastic, the Evolve Chair aims to change the public perception of waste materials. Evolve has now been nominated for 'Seating Design of the Year' at Dezeen Awards 2021. By treating recycled plastic with the same care and precision as wood or stone, Evolve presents this material as a logical, attractive and robust resource to build our futures. Importantly, this project shows how traditional woodworking skills and craftsmanship can be cleverly applied to new recycled ma
- Virgin Galactic / Aerospace LoungeA holistic design project for Virgin Galactic, encompassing product, furniture, experience and interior design. This space is the world’s first lounge, restaurant and work area for commercial space travel. I was one of two lead designers on the project, from concept phase through to manufacture & install. I managed a design team, and worked directly with international suppliers, craftsmen, pilots, astronauts and directors. During this time, I created and presented research reports, sketchwor
- Formbox / Starter KitAn educational set of of domestic objects that can be vacuum formed & cast from, while teaching you the fundamental lessons in vacuum forming. The Formbox Starter Kit consists of a Phone Stand, an Egg Cup & a 3D hologram creator. I was approached by Mayku to design a range of vacuum form-able objects, that would be sold as part of their desktop vacuum forming machine, the Formbox. Each object is designed as a visual cue to teach key features of vacuum forming - ‘Suction’, ‘ Draft Angles’ and
+ Show more
Industrial & Furniture DesignerTom Robinson Studio
London, United KingdomFreelance
I create innovative products, furniture & spaces for clients including Panasonic, London Design Festival, Mayku, GFSmith Papers & Maggie's Cancer Research Charity. I also focus independently on the design of sustainable products & systems, which has resulted in being Nomination for 'Seating Design of the Year' at Dezeen Awards 2021. "The very young and new promise of international design, Tom Robinson" - Elle Decor Italia, 2020.
Lead DesignerViewport Studio
- London, United KingdomFull Time
I designed product, furniture and commercial interiors for clients such as Virgin Galactic, Microsoft Partnerships and IndustryPlus. I worked directly with the studio founders, leading, developing and presenting projects to clients and design conferences internationally. Essential, a sustainable furniture range I designed at Viewport Studio, was awarded 'Furniture Design of the Year' at the Dezeen Awards 2020 - while also winning the public vote award in the same category.
+ Show more
- Lateral Thinker
- 2D and 3D Sketching
- 3D Visualisation in Rhino
- Idea Generation
- 3D Model Making
- Creatve Problem Solving Abilities
- 3ds Max
- Adobe Indesign/illustrator/photoshop
BA Product Design - 1st Class HonoursNottingham Trent University
- Nottingham, United Kingdom
Graduated with a 1st Class Honors Degree. Exhibited at New Designers 2014 - Received John Lewis Loves Award for 'Duo' Furniture Range Selected for one-month Design Residency in Guangzhou, China, funded by British Arts Council. - Collaborated with researchers and designers from Europe and Asia, to create design products from industrial waste. - Created solutions to re-use 2% of cardboard waste in China.
+ Show more