"Vasilisa Forbes is an artist and film-maker/video-director who's also the brains behind the #WaxChick project. You might have seen her billboards popping up around London, or caught her speaking at the ICA. Controversial and thought-provoking, her focus on female sexuality in the insidious world of advertising is eye-opening to say the least." I shoot music videos and short films. I aspire to creating art with a sense of activism for social cultural change. I often use billboards and OOH media/posters to create a dialogue. WAXCHICK a subversive billboard story unfolded across London, placed by Annin Arts in 2015. With #waxchick I was driven to question the presentation of women, the body within advertising in our modern world. The Waxchick film was shown & nominated at various leading short film festivals such as LSFF, East End Film Festival and ICA. Clean Air Now is an indie, non-profit campaigning initiative created by myself and Claire Matthews, who advocate for positive environmental change in London and across the UK Clean Air Now advocates for greater transparency, awareness of London’s illegal levels of pollution through billboards, posters and street art placement across some of the cities most polluted roads. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
+ Show more
- A State of UncertaintyThe exhibition is dedicated to my mother, who was brought up in the Soviet Union amidst circumstances of turmoil and trauma both domestically within her household and on a grand political scale. Her experience is an intense narrative of growing up in 1970s Soviet Russia amidst a rigid set of social conditioning, whilst being raised within a violently patriarchal household before fleeing an uncertain and chaotic Russia of the 90s. Within this first iteration of the series, I could only start at
- A State of Uncertainty - Series‘A State of Uncertainty’ series by Nick Ilott and Vasilisa Forbes recreates the essence of a Soviet family apartment at the cusp of Soviet-Era collapse. Nostalgic B&W and Colour-Film portraits shot by Nick Ilott and stylised by Vasilisa tell the story of a family across the later years of the Soviet Union, inspired by memories of Vasilisa’s childhood and her parent’s childhood. Stylised to resemble moments from the 70s, 80s and 90s, the photographs mimic a short period of time in the family’s
- Red MusePhotography: Nick Ilott https://concretestate.net I created a Red Womb Tunnel for my short film Delphyne. It never featured in the film in this guise, but I saw in it a jack-in-the-box oddity, the weirdness of a clown down the rabbit hole. This is who the Red Muse is, a ghost in a world of red. Tim Walker’s works inspired the feeling of this visual. Again by that red river she feels a pain in her chest.
- DustSadness is an all encompassing lightness, this pale void, a coating of thin dust, a fizzing foggy nullity. It can be soft when it clings to your body. Sadness is a sprinkling that sticks to the skin, that coats the pores in suffocation. Photographic Series Created with Nick Ilott - concrete state.net
+ View all
Projects credited in
- Go Electric | Clean Air NowPoplar, East London, UK. November 2016. Photography for #GoElectric campaign. A second collaboration with Director/Visual artist Vasilisa Forbes and Graphic Designer Claire Matthews in which we were promoting the use of V Moto UK's electric bikes and the positive change they can contribute to the environment. The campaign was supported by billboards in Peckham & Elephant & Castle. This campaign also featured appearances from grime musician's Mercston & Blakie and R&B/Soul singer Poppy Ajudha.
- War On Diesel | PhotographySouth London, UK. July 2016. Photography for #WarOnDiesel campaign. In collaboration with Director/Visual artist Vasilisa Forbes and Graphic Designer Claire Matthews, they have created this campaign for positive environmental change in London and across the UK. If your interested in finding out more visit here cleanairnow.org.uk and register your interest. Press: Guardian, Wonderland Magazine, TimeOut London, BBC London, Client Earth and Energy Live News. Creative Direction: Vasilisa Forbes Gra
London, United KingdomFreelance
Creative Direction on Campaigns, OOH Campaigns, advertising brands and independent advertising clients. Overseeing production, creative design, creation on content. Visual design and edit. Full use of Adobe Creative Suite to accomplish. Director of video content, commercial content and music video promos.
+ Show more
- Marketing PR
- Visual Arts
- Print Design
- Art Direction
- Final Cut Pro
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Adobe Create Suite