Organised by Camden Arts Centre
This course is an intensive introduction to playing and working with clay, using handbuilding techniques, throwing on the wheel and more.
About this event
1 week: Introduction to Ceramics intensive
Tuesday 13 September – Friday 16 September
11am – 4pm (inc lunch break daily)
Introduction to Ceramics is a one-week intensive course led by ceramic artist, Alice Foxen.
This course is an introduction to playing and working with clay over the course of a week. Students will be guided through a series of short project to produce a collection of vessels and objects, each with their own unique character, with a focus on form, texture and colour.
During this course students will learn to hand build in clay, including pinching, coiling, rolling out various experimental forms. Students will also have a chance to try throwing simple shapes on the wheel and introduce texture into clay work using fabric, plaster and different clay bodies. Students will be guided through using coloured slips and underglazes to bring their work to life, using a variety of decorating techniques.
This course will cover:
- Handbuilding: pinching, coiling, rolling
- Textured plaster rolling pins and stamps
- Slip decorating
Artwork and objects made during this course will be fired at the Camden Art Centre kiln, and can be taken home by students.
Alice Foxen is a ceramic artist whose sculptural work is inspired by the urban environment. Her practice is a continual search for objects, materials and spaces in a state of flux. Alice uses the material qualities of clay and other materials to reflect to the viewer how we live together in public space.Since graduating in 2013 from Brighton University with a BA in Design and Craft, Alice has participated in artist residencies at the International Ceramics Research Centre, Denmark and the Vermont Studio Centre, USA. Alice is currently studying for a Masters in Ceramics and Glass at the Royal College of Art.
- This course is suitable for those with little to no experience of working with ceramics.
- All materials costs are included. Size restrictions apply.
- Booking on a course at Camden Art Centre signifies your agreement to our terms and conditions as stated in our Learning Agreement.
- Bookings are non-refundable, unless the course is cancelled by the Centre.
- The course will only go ahead if the minimum participant requirement for the course to run is met. If the course does not go ahead, bookings will be refunded.
- For every season, each person can only book and attend one of the courses on a ‘pay what you can’ ticket.
- Evidence of concessionary status must be shown on the first day of the course.
- Adults’ courses are 18+ unless otherwise stated.
- The building is fully wheelchair accessible. Please visit our access page on our website for more information on getting here, parking and facilities.