I'm a writer, content consultant, product owner and trainer with decades of experience working across digital, print, and live events. I'm the founder of Fire Plus Algebra, a consultancy that helps humans make sense of a complicated world. We do that through in-house training, online courses, events and consultancy. Our expertise covers data visualisation, product development, content strategy, and the communication of complex ideas. I oversaw the iPad edition launches of Wired, GQ, Vanity Fair and Vogue in the UK, and have been working with Condé Nast International as product owner on a bespoke digital asset management system for their 11 global markets. Until November 2014 I worked with Guardian Masterclasses on curating new course strands, including the startups and business courses, and I was the lead tutor on their B2B data visualisation courses. Previously I was Online Editor at Time Out, having also worked as Acting Deputy Editor and Features Editor on the magazine. I have over 10 years’ previous experience of working for magazines, both online and in print.
- Digital Magazine Awards 2014For the past few years the Digital Magazine Awards have been growing in stature as a place for talented creatives working in this field to get together, share ideas and celebrate the best work of their fellow professionals. I'm delighted to be on of the judges at this year's awards.
- General AssemblyI'm now teaching regular courses in infographic design for beginners as part of the brilliant programme at General Assembly. The first course was a roaring success, and I cover everything from key principles and best practices, to practical tricks and tips, and free tools to use when creating infographics. Whether you're producing internal communications at your organisation, or slide decks for partners and investors, these courses should have something in them for you.
- Clever BoxerClever Boxer is aiming to reinvent talks, training and events for the 21st century. We can teach you and your team to collaborate, communicate and use creative ideas to not just survive but thrive in a constantly changing business landscape. Where narrow, traditional training goes rapidly out of date, our approach is to embed the knowledge in your business that enables you to adapt to the challenges of the future. We are journalists and editors with extensive experience of spotting trends, fi
+ View all
Projects credited in
- Republic Summer Business SchoolDuring August and September, Republic is running a series of workshops for anyone who's launching – or thinking of launching – their own business. You could be a freelancer looking to expand your revenue streams, an entrepreneur with a idea that needs to be nurtured, or business owner who wants to grow. You can either come to the whole series, or drop in for the workshop that's most useful to you. Our no-nonsense, jargon-free advice workshops are interactive, intimate and informal, so you'll
- Time OutMy background is in journalism, particularly in magazines. After leaving Australia for the UK I started my career in Edinburgh at The List magazine before writing for Jockey Slut, Sleazenation, The Face, the Sunday Times Style magazine, NME, Muzik and several Australian broadsheets. At Time Out I was a clubbing writer before launching a brand new section (something that rarely happens) covering the emerging cabaret and burlesque scene. I went on to be a features writer (here’s a piece on the ar
+ Show more
+ Show more
- Workflow Planning and Management
- Editorial Tools
- Data Visualisation
- Client Training
- Pubic Speaking