Content strategy and design, UX, community, editorial and project management – I enjoy it all. I’ve worked for banks and charities and publishers. I’ve even been a teacher. I’ve written websites, edited books, managed brands and communities, produced films, directed photoshoots and bought print. From strategy to apostrophes, if you need words wrangled or some fresh ideas, get in touch!
• discovery, audit, analytics • user research and writing user needs • writing and publishing FCO content on gov.uk, using Whitehall Publisher • creating, conducting and analysing user testing • writing templates and user guidance for consular posts • audit and ‘best practice’ revision of 1 country (Italy) • content design training and mentoring • recommendations and planning for Brexit and other FCO content
Content strategy and creation, coaching and training, writing, editing and proofreading for: Financial Conduct Authority, Citizens Advice, NHS Employers, Plan UK, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Poached Creative, Sage Publications, AMREF, ActionAid, Imperial College London, Orbis, the Open University, Taylor & Francis, MQ Mental Health Research and Bloomsbury
• designing and writing improvement project content (eg schools buying service) • writing and publishing DfE content on gov.uk • managing the Digital Communications team inbox, allocating and managing workflow
• plain English and accessibility consultant and editor for the high-profile Senior Managers & Certification Regime consultation papers • content design and UX for ScamSmart tool and microsite • content design for Innovate webpages • digital and print editing – plain English, accessibility SM&CR consultation paper for solo-regulated firms: https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/consultation/cp17-25.pdf SM&CR consultation paper for insurers: https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/consultation/cp17-26.pdf SM&CR cost-benefit analysis: https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/research/cba-extension-senior-managers-certification-regime.pdf
• leading the multidiscipline agile Workplace Rights epic team • researching and creating an innovative content approach for two online audiences (‘combined content’) • using my comms experience to advise on and promote combined content, including presentations to key stakeholders • mentoring and training new Content Designers • carrying out user research and implementing UX thinking in content design • leading on the information architecture content migration project (across 2 websites)
• creating strategies, concepts and content for eCRM, digital fundraising, campaigns and social media • writing and managing the Shelter website (using Matrix CMS), emails (using Adestra) and social media • content audit, content planning and strategy, user testing, analytics, brand management • managing two Web and Social Media Editors and all editorial freelancers • training and mentoring
Communications for the annual London Decompression event, including content strategy, community management, social media, emails and website, including website redesign.
• writing, editing, proofreading and project managing public-facing print and digital communications, including fundraising and campaign materials, ads and banners, microsites and mobile sites, corporate messages, publicity and campaigns materials for shops, emails and social media • creating concepts and presenting to clients • brand development, management and approval, including brand repositioning, working with in-house staff and agencies • writing and project managing complex jobs such as the Architect in the House website, emails and social media • writing, editing and project managing high-profile, public-facing publications, such as the charity’s three-year strategy and the achievements report, and campaigns such as Evict Rogue Landlords and Homes for London • organising and art directing photoshoots
Digital and print content strategy, planning and creation for the festival (internal comms and external marketing), writing and managing the website www.goingnowhere.org, moderating the forums, co-ordinating and writing e-newsletters, emails and survival guide, creating and managing the editorial brand, community management and social media, managing a large team of international volunteers, managing budgets. Rewrote Burning Man’s core principles in Plain English for multilingual community and producing 10 films to illustrate them. One of seven Board members legally responsible for the festival; primarily responsible for onsite and offsite communications.
* Writing, editing and proofreading all print and digital marketing and communications materials, including the annual report and accounts, annual review, policy and research reports, corporate messages, fundraising and campaign materials, ads, articles, film scripts, staff and supporter magazines, email newsletters, and writing on behalf of the chief executive * Writing and editing for the website, microsites and intranet, using the content management systems and ensuring SEO *Collecting and writing case studies, managing the case study library and training staff on writing and use of case studies * Project managing key publications and projects from brief and concepts through to completion, within schedule and budget * Recruiting, training and managing in-house staff and managing freelance writers, editors, proofreaders, designers and printers * Brand development, management and approval, including writing the brand manuals, developing writing and brand workshops, and advising on brand, equality and diversity, informed consent, participation and copyright to staff and external agencies * Production and print buying
Co-ordinating production of 12 journals from receipt of copy through to print, keeping to schedule, length and budget; copyediting, onscreen editing, proofreading, collation, proof checking; managing international editors, authors, copyeditors, proofreaders, typesetters and printers; budget creation and management
Copyediting, proofreading, collation and proof checking; managing international copyeditors, proofreaders, authors, typesetters and printers; sole responsible for the publication of journals as books
Teaching English in two Japanese senior high schools
Editing, proofreading, designing and marketing art, poetry, fiction and children’s books
Editor of the weekly magazine and other UCSA publications; creating and managing workflow and budget; generating content plans; writing and editing content; working with typesetters, designers and printers; managing and training a large team of volunteer staff