- Medium ArticlesUsing the online blogging site medium, I publish various articles about forms of design and media, including analyses and explanations of media theories. My desired goal is that the primary audience reading my articles—students and those in education— find my articles informative, and that they are able to learn and grow within the subject they are researching.
- Editorial Design: The Founding and Manifesto of FuturismA publication that visualises The Founding and Manifesto of Futurism, written by the Italian poet Filippo Tommaso Marinetti in 1909. I explored several themes and ideas in my extensive research, and settled on the use of repetition, angles and shapes to communicate and reflect the energy, dynamism and tone of the manifesto, interactively testing the extremes of legibility and readability by encouraging the user to turn and rotate their head—or the book—to follow the route of the typography. The
- G.I.Y. KitsAs an individual, I’m very enthusiastic about living green, and passionate about sustainability, especially around food. I’m actively against animal cruelty, and encourage a plant-based diet to all of those who can try it. From 2018-2020 I lived in student accommodation with no garden, balcony, or even a window that you could reach your hand out of (the windows were barred for safety—or to stop students throwing things out of, which many did anyway!). However, this didn’t stop me from being pas
+ View all
Projects credited in
- Ladies, Wine & Design (Southampton)We host regular events to celebrate our local community of makers and designers. We wine, dine and have casual conversations on a wide variety of topics relating to creativity, business, and life. Our meetings are inclusive and supportive spaces for all (trans, intersex, cis and all non-binary, agender and gender variant people).
- Forgiven, but Never ForgottenA photo series, entitled ‘Forgiven, but never forgotten’, to promote the launch of Edna, a charity founded by Jazzy Olive to support victims of domestic abuse. I'm working with the Royal College of Art and Imperial College London, to establish a platform like no other. Watch this space.
- LuroseDuring the COVID-19 pandemic, my sister and I collaboratively founded Lurose—a small, independent business, painting and upcycling clothing to create unique and sustainable fashion. This project has involved professional and appealing photography of our artwork, to help advertise and sell the clothes. I used a Nikon D3300 DSLR, and Adobe Lightroom CC to edit the photos. I built our webshop using SquareUp, aiming for a friendly, warm and modern tone through the use of colours and type. The colou
Content Creator & ManagerLadies, Wine & Design
Southampton, United KingdomPart Time
My most recent project to date is working voluntarily as the Content Creator & Social Media Manager for the non-profit organisation Ladies Wine & Design Southampton. This role involves designing and managing on-brand, daily content—such as adverts, web banners, posters and Instagram posts—and includes writing copy and selecting appropriate hashtags for optimum reach. Confident and professional liaison with the target audience, answering queries and reaching out to potential collaboration partners through social media platforms, is another responsibility of the role. The work must align to global brand guidelines set by Jessica Walsh, the founder of the organisation, which demonstrates my ability to work to a brief.
Training Material DesignerLush Cosmetics
- Portsmouth, United KingdomFull Time
Working to briefs set by the Lush Portsmouth branch manager, Katherine Farmer, I produced training illustrations and posters for the Portsmouth store, which are placed around the stockroom to help to train permanent and temporary staff alike, helping them to retain information about the products they sell, in a memorable and engaging way. I use a combination of hand-drawn illustrations, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop to create the designs. “Els’ work has been invaluable for the training of my team. She was able to be flexible around style without compromising on impact. She was clear with me from the start what my options were for the content we could have and communicated just as clearly all the way through. Her work is not only beautiful but the perfect foundation for the training materials involved.” —Katherine Farmer, manager of Lush Portsmouth. View images and content related to this job: https://elskenney.myportfolio.com/lush
- Web Design
- Article Writing
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Brand Creative Strategy
- Marketing Design
- Editorial Design
- Acrylic Painting
UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production: TV & FilmFareham college
- Fareham, United Kingdom
Awarded final grades: Level 3 Diploma - Distinction Level 3 Extended Diploma - Distinction