Ahoi there. I’m Jo, a freelance Creative Director & Brand Consultant working in a glorious city called Amsterdam. I specialise in Brand identity positioning and design and am equally comfortable leading presentations, workshops as well as joining to be part of or lead a team on a project as Creative Director. For the last 12 years I have worked at some of the world's most celebrated design studios in London and Amsterdam with both large and small brands across everything from concept to copywriting, brand identity to art direction. With a focus on branding, I am passionate about developing not just a logo, but a voice and entire system for a brand. Core services: Brand positioning and Consultancy, Strategic concept development, Visual Identities & Brand guidelines, Art & Creative Direction , Copywriting (Native English), Animation direction & creation, Print & Packaging design, Website Design, UX / UI Design, Spacial & Experience Design https://www.johawkes.com/
- HEMABrief: Create a premium magazine introducing the much loved Dutch HEMA brand to the Middle Eastern markets. Role: Art Direction, Graphic Design, Headline Copywriting, Editorial & Print Design. In the The Netherlands, HEMA products are crucial staples in the Dutch household. From colouring pencils for kids to the famous ‘Rookworst’ sausage, the store has every item you’ve ever needed and more. Expanding the business to the Middle East was a challenge for the familiar, homely brand. They taske
- SupperBrief: Develop the brand positioning and identity for SUPPER, a frozen food system revolutionising the hospitality industry in 2020. Role: Strategic Brand consultancy, Brand identity design, Copywriting & Tone of voice, Asset creation including Sales / Investment deck in Keynote, Animations and GIFS. Supporting both the reduction of food waste as well as saving costs on staff for hotels, the hibernated meal system is an innovative, sustainable solution. SUPPER is a frozen food system revoluti
- Nike Jordan Atelier ParisBrief: Create an elevated consumer experience for a permanent customisation atelier within the Jordan store in Paris. We began this challenge by putting ourselves in the shoes (pun intended!) of the consumers who are dedicated to the Jordan brand and their own sense of belonging within it. How could we create a journey that informs and inspires them from the moment they enter the store? The outcome was a candy store for true fans to have their new shoes engraved or personalised in their chosen
- Glowing glowing goneBrief: A social project and campaign to help save our suffering coral reef from complete extinction. For the first time in human history, we are on the verge of losing a major planetary ecosystem: coral reefs. In a last ditch attempt to get our attention, they glow bright vibrant colours just before becoming their white, skeletal selves. The warming of the oceans is causing reefs to die as well as the marine life that depends on it. I wanted to help support Glowing Gone, a great initiative a
- Jamie OliverBrief: Illustrate bespoke menus for upcoming Jamie Oliver restaurants inspired by their architecture or location. Role: Concept and Illustration from sketches to finished, printed designs. Jamie Oliver is expanding his Italian restaurants globally. He hand picks each bespoke menu which are designed with inspiration drawn from the area’s icons and are unique to every restaurant. I illustrated several options including Perth and Canberra in Australia, Singapore, Greenwich and Dubai.
- SupperBrief: Develop the brand positioning and identity for SUPPER, a frozen food system revolutionising the hospitality industry in 2020. Supporting both the reduction of food waste as well as saving costs on staff for hotels, the hibernated meal system is an innovative, sustainable solution. SUPPER is a frozen food system revolutionising service in hospitality industry. I was tasked with creating the entire identity, from naming to the iconic squirrel logo. Bringing our squirrel friend to life thr
Head of DesignWEIRD
Amsterdam, NetherlandsFull Time
Currently leading and building a team of creatives to put the *creative* in front of technology. We empower Creative Technologists and build brands with purpose, from Brand Identities to designing digital experiences and leading ideation workshops.Currently building a team of creatives to put the *creative* in front of technology. We empower Creative Technologists and build brands with purpose, from Brand Identities to designing digital experiences and leading ideation workshops. Skills: Communication · Branding & Identity · Writing · Adobe InDesign · Adobe Illustrator · Design · Adobe Photoshop · Business-to-Business (B2B) · Typography
Creative DirectorJo Hawkes Design
Ahoi there. I’m Jo, a freelance Brand Consultant and Creative Director. Specialising in brand identity positioning & design, I love to help meaningful businesses tell their story. I’ll help you to position your brand in the market and create an engaging visual identity system; either from scratch or a re-fresh. This starts with an initial chat where we’ll discuss who you are as a company and what your business goals are. I then dig a little deeper - researching your market, competitors and defining a strategy for your brand communication and identity. Next we develop the overarching concept, brand values and essence, which is followed by the visual identity including logo, colour palette, typography and icons; all with guidance on how to keep the brand coherent. We can then work out together which touch points you want to create, from printed packaging to your website, we develop a tailored brand roll out. For the last 10+ years I have worked with some of the world's most celebrated design studios and brands in London and Amsterdam. From concept to copywriting, brand identity to art direction, I am comfortable leading teams as well as independently tackling creative challenges. With a focus on branding, I am passionate about developing not just a logo, but a voice and entire system for your brand. I adapt to any brief, with a keen eye for detail and a passion for all things sustainable or food related. With no set style, I uncover the core of what your brand stands for and visualise it in a consistent, own able and expressive way. Together with my partner Joep, we are able to bring design work to life through animation and film. So if you’re looking to tell your brand story through animation we are your team for the challenge.
+ Show more
- Brand Positioning
- Visual Identity
- Creative Direction
- Web Design
BA(Hons) Graphic DesignKingston University
- London, United Kingdom
Degree with Honours in Graphic Design. Focussed on leading with core concepts and ideas rather than just aesthetics, it was a challenging design degree that helped shaped me as a Creative thinker. All Design Modules: 1st Class.