Manimekala (Mekala) Fuller is a young womenswear fashion designer specialising in print and surface decoration, currently based in London, UK. After graduating from the prestigious BA (Hons) Fashion Design course at the University of Westminster, London, UK in 2018, Mekala is now a freelance fashion and accessories designer, while also developing her namesake luxury brand, “Manimekala”. Her time at Westminster included a successful year of working in the fashion industry, both in London and abroad. Her talent lies in surface decoration, using traditional hand techniques such as hand-painting, screen-printing, dyeing, and hand-embroidery in combination with new technologies such as digital printing, sublimation printing, CAD embroidery, laser cutting and digital jacquard weaving. With her breadth of technical knowledge and experimental experience she creates innovative and modern textile designs, then showcases them in her bold, yet elegant garment designs. Mekala’s design work has been recognised by the international fashion industry - her graduate collection saw her selected as one of the Council of Fashion Designers of America’s CFDA+ Graduates of 2018, a finalist in the Italian 2018 International Talent Support competition, and a finalist in the 2018 London College of Fashion x Cass Art #DRAWFASHION illustration competition.Locked Pro Plan feature
• Independent luxury print-based fashion brand, stocked in central London concept store. • Manage entire business - garment/accessory design, sourcing and development, sampling and production, PR/marketing and sales. Ethical and environmentally-responsible UK-based sampling and micro-production methods, including hand-printing and “zero waste” approach. • Participated in “Westminster Pop Up”, a week-long London pop up shop in collaboration with other creative entrepreneurs from the University of Westminster.
• Assisted University of Westminster Fashion tutors in teaching fashion to students aged 13-16 for the National Saturday Club, in collaboration with the British Fashion Council. • Responsible for 1-on-1 teaching of technical skills, specialising in print and embroidery techniques including screen-print, sublimation print, shibori hand-dyeing and hand-embroidery.
• Designed digital print, CAD embroidery and jacquard fabric artworks for AW17, Resort 18 and SS18 collections. Supervised development and sampling of print stories, including engineering garment pattern placements. • Personally responsible for designing collaborations and custom orders for clients. • Assisted with embroidery and accessory design, editorial and product shoots.
• Created and developed hand-embroidered samples for SS17 and Resort 17 collections. • Visual research for embroidery, material sourcing, assisted with embroidery tech packs. • Personally responsible for fixing final embroideries on sample garments for shows, shoots and sales meetings.
• Main duties included sewing and altering toiles, accurate tracing of patterns, fabric sourcing and preparation, and assisting with tech packs for factories. • Responsible for hand-sewing embellished show garments for AW16 collection.
• Assisted with design research, fabric sourcing, pattern cutting, and garment construction. • Assisted with SS15 LFW presentation. Acted as brand ambassador at BFC showroom.