- Art Direction // F Word MagazineFashion is so often about the visual, and yet the feeling of being comfortable in what you’re wearing is what makes a look. Feel was a project for F Word Magazine’s Youth Rising Issue. With a diverse cast of 10 models, Simon (OWOI)’s master plan was to get their input on what they should be wearing, and put their perspective on the page. How often do models get to be more than just a blank canvas?
- Nasty Flowers SeriesNicci James's ‘Nasty Flowers’ series explores meanings which are not immediately obvious within the ‘fragile’ objects associated with femininity. Experimenting with the largely forgotten meaning of flowers, this series explores how symbolic language can empower women and invoke a sense of community.
- BA Collection: spaceAGE heritAGEGraduating from Manchester School of Art, Nicci James’s debut collection of Men's Knitwear is an eclectic amalgamation of an imagined future of graphic knitwear and classic menswear shapes. Each garment is visually rich, showcasing Nicci's skillful handling of materials and intuitive use of texture and colour. This collection won Gold at The Phoenix World Cup, International Fashion Design Grand Prix in China.
- Unmade Debut Collection AW15The very first Unmade collection for AW15. As the only Knitwear Design Assistant, I played an integral part in creating this collection. I was involved with all aspects including development, production, sampling and assisting on the photoshoot. All designs for Unmade are left open ended for the customer to have their say. This need for interaction added another layer to the design process which was challenging from both a technical and visual perspective.
- Unmade x Christopher RaeburnUnmade x Christopher Raeburn “Borneo” Menswear and "Sarawak" Womenswear collections for Spring Summer 2016 mark Unmade collaboration with a fashion brand. I assisted with every aspect of design and development of the garments and interactions, working closely with the Raeburn team and making all the garments for the catwalk. This project was the winner of Decoded Fashion's Digital Coalition Award 2016.
- Unmade SS16Unmade Spring Summer 2016: ALL GENDERS Introducing pima cotton and cashemere to the Unmade repetroire, I assisted in the creation of new structures and new shapes for Unmade's SS16. Unisex was it's own challenge, catering for every body, playing with interactions that generated a fresh take on the well loved stripe. All Unmade designs are left open ended for the customer to have their say. This need for interaction added another layer to the design process which was challenging from both a technical and visual perspective.
Projects credited in
- Studio Moross // Knitwear CollaborationStudio Moross is an award-winning creative design studio focusing on art direction, branding, print and moving image. It was set up by graphic artist and art director Kate Moross with the aim and motto of ‘Making Music Look Good’. Their bold and prolific portfolio includes work for Disclosure, Sam Smith, Banks, Jessie Ware, Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, Ray Ban and Red Bull amongst others. Always looking for new and innovative uses of design, the team are delighted to be producing a range for Knyttan, which encapsulates their distinctive style in use of shapes, colour and patterning.
Design and Development AssistantUnmade
- London, United KingdomFull Time
This was an incredibly dynamic role with a fast growing start-up company. From initially being one of only six, during my employment the team grew to almost thirty people. A very brief overview of my role : - Supporting the design, development and production of internal collections of fully fashioned knitwear and collaborations with external designers inc. high profile industry players. - Sketching and sampling pattern graphics for jacquards. -Assisting in specification development and producing technical drawings -Overseeing quality control of all garments including careful inspection of all factory made samples. -Representing Unmade alone at international yarn fair Pitti Filati - Florence. -Programming/Operating/Maintaining Stoll CMS Machines.
- Knitwear Designer
- Knitting Machine Textile Design
- Pattern Cutting and Draping
- Knit Swatch Ideas and Development
- Creative Producing
- Art Direciton
- Art Teaching
- Advanced Sewing
- Fashion Print
Gold Award- International Design Grand PrixPhoenix World CupOverall winner of this international graduate design competition held in Ningbo, China against representatives from top universities worldwide.