I am an experienced writer and editor currently based out of Delhi, India. I recently graduated cum laude from King's College London with a Bachelor's in literature. With previous experience at Penguin Random House India and TLS, I have a portfolio of skills in publishing, editing and content creation. My writing has previously been published by The Times Literary Supplement, Ambit, UNICEF's Words By, Forward Poetry, The Goya Journal, Soup and Muse India among others. As a freelance writer and editor, I have a particular interest in stories centred around culture, people and objects. I have had extensive experience in creative direction and managing large teams as the editor-in-chief of KCL Journal. I have also been involved in key organisational roles at events such as KSLF London 2019 and HowTheLightGetsIn 2019.
+ Show more
- The Goya Journal: Beauty & the Big Indian KitchenIn India, food is not only loved, cooked and eaten, but also worn. The deep links between the kitchen and the Indian body also translate into language. In this feature, I explore the rich and complex history of food as beauty, in the Indian context. The Goya Journal is the publishing arm of the umbrella company Goya Media, a food media production company. The publication aims to offer insight into culture, politics and identity, to create a multifarious narrative around food using diverse mediu
- Ambit: Review of ‘Letters Home 回家’ by Jennifer WongMy review of Jennifer Wong's third collection,‘Letters Home 回家’ (Nine Arches Press, 2020) appeared in Ambit's online supplement this June. 'Jennifer Wong’s new book of poems is the “small dream of soy sauce” she describes in ‘Sushi bar amnesiac’. A tasteful, part-sweet part-sour collection, Letters Home 回家 traces the in-between spaces of identity and belonging produced by Wong’s migration from Hong Kong to England in October 1998. These page-length poems travel back and forth through space, cu
- KCL JOURNAL Issue 13As the editor-in-chief of the KCL Journal, the arts and culture publication at King's College London, I worked on the final spring/summer issue, Issue 13. From editorial research and planning to the nitty-gritty work of design and production, I was at the head of directing the creative vision for this project. This issue was handmade during a global pandemic. To this effect, it has been designed with care to give space to its long-form writing and visual art, best delved into meditatively. It
- The Alipore Post: Valentine's Day FeatureMy piece 'What Love reminds me of' was featured on The Alipore Post, a poetry and art journal and newsletter. The piece is a collection of seven short, poignant memoirs about other places we find love in. Read the piece at https://www.thealiporepost.com/post/what-love-reminds-me-of-by-nikita-biswal
- UNICEF Next Generations' Words By'Home' was published in UNICEF Next Generation's poetry and prose anthology, Words By. The collection brings together writers from all walks of life to raise awareness and funds for children displaced by war and natural disasters across the globe. These are words by 'refugees and other humans'. At its core, Words By is a means of free expression that hopes to reinforce our shared humanity.
+ View all
Projects credited in
- Nikita BiswalAll the way to school, we would take turns at guessing what the sky tastes like. "Bubblegum", "Candyfloss", "Blue". "But blue isn’t a flavour", I protested. "It is – I’ve put it on my tongue before. It was really warm". "Come, let me show you!" We raced after you as you went running towards the salty smell of sea.
London, United KingdomFull Time
KCL Journal is the creative arts publication at King's College London (est. 2012)
Digital Marketing InternPenguin Random House
- Delhi, IndiaInternship
As a part of my role at Penguin Random House India, I contributed to a variety of creative marketing tasks. I pitched and developed ideas for innovative marketing and social media campaigns, wrote copy and created content for a host of digital channels.
+ Show more
- Event Organisation
- Social Media Management
- Content Creation
- Editorial Copy