Sonia has worked in photography since 2007, starting out as a freelancer for various French magazines and with the photography collective le bar Floréal.photographie. She worked for the Amsterdam-based photo agency NOOR as a photo editor for four years before joining Panos in 2014 as assignments and social media editor.
- Tudo BomThe beautiful game. O jogo bonito. Pelé claims he was the first to coin the term. British commentator Stuart Hall disagrees. Mostly, who cares? Football does something that no other sport does. It’s the great equalizer. Everyone everywhere watches it. (Yes, even Americans.) And not a day goes by here in Brazil, where the universal nature of futebol can’t be seen. Manic Algerians aggressively chanting on the streets of Belo Horizonte. American flags hanging from balconies in Recife. Nigerians waving Brazilian flags. Germans waving Brazilian flags. Ecuadorians waving Brazilian flags. An entire stadium in Salvador singing “Allez allez allez” after France scored goals four and five against Switzerland. The tricolor flag of Mexico hanging from a random guy's neck in a São Paulo subway. And then there are the Brazilians. Every time Brazil plays the country has a national holiday. 200 million people simultaneously willing Neymar to score another goal. Even I have to remind myself that I’m there to take pictures. Not to scream at the television. At the end of the day, sports always win.
- #FutureofCitiesInspired by Panos Pictures agency, Sony’s Global Imaging Ambassadors (SGIA), bring you #FutureofCities – a social documentary project, which takes a look at the problems, solutions and trends shaping cities globally. A recent exhibition at London's Somerset house showcased the 20 stories within a large scale display which welcomed over 33,000 visitors in just over two weeks. ? "It is rare to work on a photographic project of such universal appeal, and one which speaks so directly to the concerns and interests of our modern times.” - Francesca Sears, Panos Pictures Director Explore the stories below and participate with your own work concerning the future of your cities, through the Storytelling Award presented with our partner Maptia.
Projects credited in
- The Inner MeCreativity Works - Visual storytelling in association with Magnum Photos This project is based on a brief set by It's Nice That called "What is your London?" The Inner Me is a personal project focusing on four generations of women in my family (including myself)- through their stories we learn how they navigate being Black Caribbean women in the UK. My desire to document this history is driven by the lack of representation within mainstream media. As an exploration of what has changed and what
- I Feel You StillThis project was based on a brief titled 'What is your London?'. I believe that Language, when used for connection rather than division paints a much more vivid and colourful image. Growing up in Newham, East London, there was an understanding of how not to speak in more ‘prestigious’ spaces, how to talk in a way that, ultimately, meant shedding what came naturally to you. But why? These ways of speaking have a purpose far beyond just transferring of information. There's an intimacy to be val
- Creativity Works - Visual storytelling in association with Magnum PhotosA 6-week photography program for Londoners aged 18-24 years old, mentored by Sohrab Hura. This intensive course seeks to equip London's young creative talent with the connections, skills, knowledge and inspiration to tell stories that are important to them and that inform and impact social change. Through a range of practical workshops and activities, critique sessions and talks, twenty-five young Londoners will develop their own visual language and the skills required to understand photography
Assignments & Social Media EditorPanos Pictures
Panos Pictures is a photo agency specialising in global social issues, driven by the vision and commitment of its photographers and staff. Panos is known internationally for its fresh and intelligent approach and respected for its integrity and willingness to pursue stories beyond the contemporary media agenda.
+ Show more
- Picture Editing
- Project Management
- Photo Editing
- Content Production
- Production Coordinator