I have over 5 years experience working with a variety of clients using animation and visual communication to explain, promote & entertain. Motivated by my love for drawing, art, films, visual communication and storytelling led me to graduate in 2012 from University College Falmouth with a 1st class degree in Digital Animation. I moved up to London later that year and commenced my animation career. Along the way, I’ve had the good fortune to work with some wonderful clients and on some great projects. Animation is a fantastic medium for providing clarity and engaging audiences... it’s also super fun to bring stories and ideas to life!
- 4 Mins Inside Ethan's Head / ChromaPictures.net / Animated BiographyThis animation offered a rare opportunity to create a fun account of a person’s life. I collaborated closely with Chroma Pictures and the client to bring their ideas into life. The final animation was screened to the star’s family and friends at an event. It was very well received! Design & Animation – Charlie Minnion Sound Design – Luis Bonilla Producer – ChromaPictures.net
- Harry Potter Exhibition / The British Library / Animated GIFs & Tube AdsIn this video, you can see each GIF looped twice.. or if you prefer scroll down to see the actual GIFs themselves! Also, scroll to the bottom to check out the digital escalator panel ads I made to advertise the same exhibition.
- RIX MultiMe Toolkit Animation / RIX Research & Media / Explainer AnimationThis animation explains and promotes the RIX MultiMe Toolkit by covering the main tools and features that it offers for people with special needs and disabilities. The animation helps to provide clarity in demonstrating the functions of the app and how it can be applied to real world situations. Client – RIX Research & Media / MultiMe Voice Over – Charlie Saward Sound Design – Audionautix.com
- Petnology / Manifest London / Explainer Animation“Petnology” aka “The Future of Pet Technology” was produced in close collaboration with the fantastic team at Manifest London. The objective was to present & explain three innovative pet technology ideas for Fetch. It was super fun working on this! I used a nice & loose hand drawn approach to creating the artwork. This was followed by compositing & enhancing the shots in Photoshop, before the final animation phase in After Effects. This has been one of my most popular animations having receved around 150,000 views! People watched this video to vote for one of the products they would like to see a prototype for. "WhatsYapp" was voted the winner! Client – Fetch Agency – Manifest London Producer - Adam Rae Designer & Animator – Charlie Minnion Voice Over – Vincent Brimble Sound Design - Adam Rae
+ View all
Animator and IllustratorRIX Research and Media
- London, United KingdomFreelance
Created an animation to explain the RIX MultiMe Toolkit, an app for people with special needs & disabilities, their families, carers and professionals. Following this, I designed and illustrated a series of slides to fit with a presentation on the topic of multimedia advocacy.
- London, United KingdomFreelance
Created an infographic illustration for an educational book. I drew an adventurous scene with two characters on a backdrop of interconnected islands, to outline the various methods of making literacy more accessible.
+ Show more
- Problem Solving
- Motion Design
- After Effects
BA (Hons) Digital Animation - First Class HonoursUniversity College Falmouth
Falmouth, United Kingdom
On this course, I learned about the principles of animation & applied them to both independent and team projects. The course covered many areas including pre production, 2D, 3D, visual effects and cinematography. The course has now changed its title to "Animation and Visual Effects." Before this, I spent one year on UCFs Illustration degree. Whilst on this course I learned several core skills: colour, composition, drawing, conceptual thinking, narrative and pacing. My decision to change resulted from my desire to work more collaboratively and I was more influenced by film and animation.
AOI Award - NominatedAssociation of Illustrators (AOI)This nomination was for "The Incomplete Activist", an animation I worked on with the team at CreativeConnection. It was based on research by a PhD student, exploring the Lifeworlds of Community Activists. Looking at both their characteristics, the dynamics of their actions and the challenges they face. It was made in 2013, and nominated for the award in 2014.
Chance of a Lifetime Film Competition - Awarded First PlaceBristol Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND)Awarded first place for an animation I directed on the theme of promoting against nuclear weapons. The competition was judged by David Sproxton of Aardman Animations.