Most my life, I have circulated around creativity, photography, visual arts, film, writing and publishing, in different ways. I have just submitted a PhD in Contemporary Art which looks at these, and included practice using video, printmaking and a published book as well as the thesis. My ability to is to work across different areas, or disciplines, and bring different ideas together and to communicate those with people with different backgrounds. This all came from my history of writing and photography and my publications on how and why people cook and the link to landscape and history.
- Falling between Worlds: Catalogue of video art 2016-2020My own video art practice over a period of four years, and an ISBN publication in support of my practice based PhD. Involved balancing rgb video images for publication as cmyk print images, and editing of text to fit the available space. Final publication is A4 size.
- Woolwich Contemporary Print Fair selectionMy main practice is video art. However, in the course of my research I developed ideas around the connection between language and translation and digital and craft art work. It is about understanding how humans understand the creative world, and breaking down the categories that have been made between technologies and artforms. So in a practical exploration of this, I began printmaking as an extension of practice, using traditional hand crafted processes. This image is from my video art, turned
- out of isolation came forth light - one example video workDigital animation or video art made within a virtual world. It combines collaborative creativity, and bridges from the virtual or digital with the actual and crafted. The video work, of collecting and editing, and choice of music is mine. Here, the main other contributors are CapCat Ragu and SaveMe Oh; within Second Life there is a continuing tradition of pseudonyms, which have a long creative connection, before the internet. Overall, it is close engagement with the work of others, or reinterpre
- Researcher in Contemporary ArtI submitted this PhD at the end of 2020, and passed the viva early in 2021. It draws on my lifetime of experience with creativity, technology and social life. It is practice based, originating with video art (or machinima) which extended into traditional craft printmaking - light on screen into ink on paper. I take a multi-disciplinary approach, combining art, sociology, anthropology and literary theory in particular. Technology is tied to how human cultural processes develop - I bring that huma
- The Lake District & Cumbria in recipes and photographsMy own work, designed with InDesign, ISBN 978-0955374937. Primarily for the gift trade market, it found wider markets. B5 landscape format. It flows written information about food, geography and social history across the pages, along with my photography. It is an inventive way of producing work that connects with the readership on multiple levels. Research, writing, photography, publication and marketing all my own work. First published in 2006 and still in print.
- Yorkshire: In Recipes and PhotographsMy own work, designed with InDesign, ISBN 978-0955374913. Primarily for the gift trade market, it found wider markets. B5 landscape format. It flows written information about food, geography and social history across the pages, along with my photography. It is an inventive way of producing work that connects with the readership on multiple levels. Research, writing, photography, publication and marketing all my own work. First published in 2011.
+ View all
Writer and photographer, design and publishingDane Stone Publishing
Ulverston LA12, UKFreelance
My own business, built on the opportunities available with the newly released Adobe Creative Suite. Established a range of products for commercial print, in an industry that was increasingly digitising. Formerly full-time, now occasional book sales and freelance work. • Publication of two books, one still in print. The original 200 postcard designs were withdrawn 2014, when many of the long established bigger companies were also backing out due to changes in holiday patterns, postage costs and mobile adoption. • Establishing a library of early 20th century community cookbooks, and cataloguing the recipes. Researching food and local history. • Photographing locations and food for the publications. • Graphic design for the postcards and books using Adobe (I have now switched to Affinity who have done what Adobe promised but never quite achieved). Maintaining websites (Wordpress), and backed up catalogued storage system for photographs and records. • Marketing and sales, and customer (retail and trade) and supplier relations. Book-keeping, quotes and contracts, correspondence and e-mail, stock control and purchasing decisions.
Postgraduate Teaching AssistantLancaster University
- Lancaster, United KingdomPart Time
Preparing seminar material. Conducting seminars with first year undergraduates in Media and Communication Studies, plus one-to-one office time and response to questions by email. Marking and providing feedback on essays and marking exams.
+ Show more
- Video Art
- Graphic Design
- Publication Design