On paper, I am a graphic designer. In practice, I am a hybrid. Blessed with a career rich in entrepreneurial experiences I learnt to appreciate a much more holistic meaning of branding. From event organiser, researcher, administrator, culture officer, to proposal writer, recruiter and operations manager. My head has witnessed multiple hats, shaping my belief that a brand is the outcome of great things people do collectively towards a greater goal, far beyond its visual expression. In times where the beauty of identity and diversity is misused to drive humanity apart, I am passionate about how creativity and branding in particular can bring diverse groups of people together to create positive impact. In fact I see it as a responsibility for designers of my generation to use their skills to tackle some of the biggest challenges of our time. In my role as a graphic designer I seek to help groups and individuals find their truest self expression and make it visible to the outside world. Giving its owners a new confidence and allowing them to bring their brand to life through even bolder actions.
- Harambeans on NYC Times SquareWhen given the opportunity to showcase the work of Harambeans on the 22 stories tall Reuters billboard on Times Square in New York, we wasted no time and created a concept celebrating the new brand across 11 uniquely-sized, high definition LED screens. Motion Design: Marco Roccabella Photography: © Ka-Man Tse
- HarambeansFounded in 2008, Harambeans today form Africa’s most pioneering network of young entrepreneurs. Collectively Harambeans created over 3,000 jobs, raised over $400m in capital and built ventures valued at over $1bn collectively. In order to reflect the innovation and energy of the network, Pentagram’s Marina Willer worked with the team to create a new visual identity, bringing to life the true spirit of ‘Harambee’ – to work together as one. Brand development: Marina Willer, Pentagram Role: Brand
- National Zakat Foundation50% of Muslim households in the UK live in poverty. In response to this staggering statistic, the National Zakat Foundation (NZF) was born in 2011 and has since empowered over 10,000 people with more than £10 million in zakat funds. As the UK’s only zakat institution, NZF decided to refresh and refocus their brand to encourage Muslims across the UK to come together and transform their communities through the Power of Zakat.
- Ecobank Mobile AppWith over 900 million mobile phones embraced by the youngest population in the world – Africa is about to witness the most tech-savvy generation on the planet. The launch of the mobile app therefore posed the opportunity to move Ecobank towards digital, using a language deeply ingrained in this demographic. – Creative Director: Damien Robins
- AfreximbankThe African Export Import Bank (Afreximbank) was established for the purpose of financing, promoting and expanding intra-African and extra-African trade. In June 2017 Afreximbank hosted its 24th Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Kigali, Rwanda, which required a variety of branded materials throughout the Kigali Convention Centre. – Design Directors: Kam Devsi, Andrew Wilson
+ View all
Co-founder / Board MemberHarambeans.com
Harambe is an ecosystem of over 300 young African leaders, Harambeans, who are scaling social and business ventures across sectors. To date, the network has spawned a series of tech-enabled ventures such as Andela.com, Yoco.co.za and Fibre.com. Collectively, Harambeans have generated over 3,000 jobs, raised over $400m from Google Ventures, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and Jack Ma, among others, and in the process established a pan-African network of startups valued at over $1bn.
+ Show more
- Graphic Design
- Print Design
- Content Curation