Paddy is a designer-maker, with a focus on communication design, print, and visual identity. Originally from the South East of England, he is now based in Exeter. Paddy was recently awarded a Distinction grade in MA Communication Design, at Falmouth University. Before that: Graphic Design BA(Hons), at the University of the Creative Arts, Epsom. A social-theory led course, combined with the platforms of typography and infographics (and lots of screenprinting!).
- 'East Street Bottling Co.' PackagingHow does location make a brand or product unique? For this brief, I created the packaging and brand design for a fictional alcohol company. East Street Bottling Co. is representative of Rye, in East Sussex, using local knowledge, the culture, and history of the space to shape the brand's identity. The drink I have chosen to produce for the brand is gin and tonic, infused with the Alexander plants found at Rye Harbour Nature Reserve.
- 1440 Minutes'1440 Minutes' is a response to one of the biggest problems that people can experience – a lack of time. It often feels that there aren't enough hours in the day to live our lives the way we want to. This flip book of posters acts as a tangible reminder to make use of every minute of the day, separating the day into the 24 hours, or 1400 minutes. Simply tear a page every five minutes, and you'll soon understand the value of wasted time. 288 page object, using a custom typeface (inspired by old
- Nescafé By DesignMy winning entry to Nescafé's tin competition, run by Twelve Agency (with University for the Creative Arts). In response the theme of 'Unexpected Urban Adventures', I was visually inspired by the sight of the sprawling sea of multicoloured umbrellas that are carried around cities when it's raining – it doesn't have to be a sunny day to enjoy a coffee. The print was chosen as their hero design, used nationwide across tins and promotional material.
+ Show more
Projects credited in
- Mural for The Press House ExeterA collaborative commissioned mural for new creative cafe, The Press House in Exeter, Devon. Designed and painted on shuttering by Jasmine Freemantle and Paddy Tate. Read more about the process here: https://www.jasminefreemantle.co.uk/designwork/the-press-house-exeter
- Falmouth University, MA Communication DesignThe MA Communication Design at Falmouth University is a transformative and reflective 45-week experience; which seeks to provoke the development of an individual voice and identity in the practice and business of communication design. The course is delivered in the context of a rapidly changing, complex and accelerating media world; one in continuous collision with ever-evolving political, cultural and ethical catalysts. Engagement with projects and insights from leading global ‘provocateurs’9
Freelance Graphic DesignerStudio Eger
- London, United KingdomFreelance
Freelance designer working with the team at Studio Eger. Designing for major exhibitions/print, typesetting, and art-working. The main project I worked on lasted three weeks, creating the exhibition labels for "I Object – Ian Hislop's Search For Dissent" at the British Museum.
Graphic Design PlacementOpen Water
- Chatham, United KingdomInternship
I worked with Open Water Design (now part of Wonderful Digital Agency, Maidstone), learning the steps taken in branding a company, and creating promotional materials for various clients. I supported the design team, as well as working on individual tasks. The placement was a valuable experience to me as my first taste of design work experience, where I learnt a lot, both in terms of technical skill and about the industry in general.
+ Show more
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Indesign
- Abobe Illustrator
- Team Leadership
- Team Collaboration
BA(Hons) Graphic DesignUniversity for the Creative Arts
- Epsom, United Kingdom
I graduated from UCA Epsom in June 2019, proudly completing my BA(Hons) Graphic Design with a 2.1 degree. Over three years I specialised in print, branding, and exhibition design, with a particular interest in typography. I enjoy creating pieces of work with hand-crafted elements, such as custom typefaces and the use of screenprinting. Whilst at UCA I have had a winning design chosen as part of a live brief with Nescafé Azera and Twelve Agency, with my tin design being championed in a country-wide campaign, shown on all adverting, and available for sale in all supermarkets across the country (Azera By Design, Umbrellas – 2018). I have worked on a number of large self-initiated projects alongside my studies, such as collaborating on a large scale mural for The Big Draw illustration festival, and designing/screenprinting sets of posters for visiting guest speaker's talks, that are held at the university. I was part of the team that organised our final university show, "This Way Up", which delivered our work as pop-up shows in London design studios. Some hosts of our show included G.F Smith, Pentagram, Johnson Banks, NB, J.Walter Thompson, DN&Co, and It's Nice That/ Anyways. I was also a major contributor to the organisation of our Work In Progress "Utopia" show. https://www.thiswayup.graphics/