I’m a senior level art director, graphic designer, author and university lecturer. I work with clients in the arts, culture and publishing industries, to help them connect with their audience and develop lasting relationships. I do this by directing bespoke print magazines, books, publications, branding and create content for digital platforms. My career started as a graphic designer and art director in the prestigious lifestyle magazine industry, including Sleazenation, The Independent on Saturday Magazine and Esquire UK. This work experience provided me with the knowledge to develop a successful freelance graphic design career. Freelance projects included art directing the launch of bespoke consumer magazines, designing visual culture books, style magazines, developing lifestyle websites, branding and working with luxury lifestyle brands. I have since authored and art directed two visual culture books, which are published by Thames & Hudson. My first title 'Collector's Edition' is a hardback book that celebrates the new wave of limited, deluxe, special edition graphic design created for the music, book and magazine industries. I followed up the success of my first title by authoring and art directing MIN: The New Simplicity in Graphic Design, the first thorough look at this rebirth of simplicity in graphic design. The book showcases global minimalist designers, working across a wide range of formats and media, which are interspersed with exclusive interviews and essays. My work regularly features in graphic design and culture publications and blogs and has been included on It's Nice That, AIGA Eye, Creative Boom, Pitchfork, BBC, Wired, Print, Varoom, Creative Review, Eye, Computer Arts, Laurence King and Harper Collins. I am available to work on a freelance basis and bespoke commissions. My services include magazine art direction (from concept creation, design to print), book design, editorial design, publishing, book cover design, typography, content creation, brand development and university lecturing.
- Falmouth University, MA Graphic Design (online) websiteThe MA Graphic Design (online) course is a global-reaching, flexible and innovative online Masters in Graphic Design from Falmouth University UK; one of the world’s leading creative universities with a global reputation for creative excellence.
- Build+Become, Smart Thinking Book SeriesI worked closely with Quarto Publishing to design and illustrate a new 'smart thinking' book series, called Build+Become. The series explores contemporary topics such as technology, politics, philosophy and sociology with the aim to encourage readers to build their understanding of a changing World. Our pared back graphic approach visualises the complicated editorial content in a simplified, easy to digest style, utilising a two colour palette assigned for each book.
- MIN: The New Simplicity in Graphic DesignMIN explores the resurgence of minimalism in contemporary graphic design. It showcases the elegant, reductive and geometric projects being created by designers who are moving beyond the ornate and pattern-based work that has dominated graphic design for the past decade. The book features 150 minimalist designers working across a wide range of formats and media—from independent magazines and album covers to corporate identities, packaging and branding. Interspersed throughout are essays on the hi
- Falmouth University, MA Graphic Design (online) brandingI was commissioned by Falmouth University to create the brand identity, strategy and content creation for their new MA Graphic Design (online) course. The 'Global Exploration of Graphic Design' strategy was created in close collaboration with Bryan Clark, head of graphic design at Falmouth, to accentuate the online format of the course that encourage students to explore graphic design from a global perspective. Our brand direction features a pared-back, black and white typographic design that pa
- Collector's Edition: Innovative Packaging and GraphicsThis visual culture book, authored by Stuart Tolley, brings together over 170 examples of innovative and inspired packaging from the worlds of music, book publishing and magazines that have been released as a collector’s, limited or deluxe edition.
+ View all
Creative DirectorTransmission Design
- Brighton, United KingdomFreelance
I am the creative director and founder of Transmission, a graphic design and content creation studio. We work with clients in the arts, culture and publishing industries, to help them connect with their audience and develop lasting relationships. We do this by creating magazines, books, publications, editorial and digital platforms which combine beautiful graphic design and art direction with engaging writing, journalism and editorial content.
Module Leader / Senior LecturerFalmouth University
- Falmouth, United KingdomPart Time
I was employed as the Module Leader to help launch the MA Graphic Design (online) course with Falmouth University, a global-reaching, flexible and innovative online Masters in Graphic Design from Falmouth University UK; one of the world’s leading creative universities with a global reputation for creative excellence. I was responsible for creating new and original content for the global student cohort, who are studying remotely on a part time basis. This included conducting exclusive video interviews, module content, lectures, assessment and management.
+ Show more
- Marketing PR
- Visual Arts
- Print Design
- Art Direction
- Magazine Design
- Magazine Layout
- Magazine Publishing
- Book Design
- Book Covers
- Book Layout
- Book Illustration
- Editorial Content
- Editorial Direction
- Editorial Design
- Editorial Layout
- Print Management
- Music Artwork
- Music Design
- Branding Design
- Art Teaching