Box on the Docks
Box on the Docks was conceived by MediaCity (Salford, Manchester) with HemingwayDesign as a way to support their hospitality businesses through Covid recovery by creating self-contained dining pods that allow visitors to return to their favourite bars and restaurants whilst safely social distancing.
In two months start to finish we...
• Installed 30 sheds and greenhouses which doubled as socially distanced dining pods
• Commissioned 15 local artists to design the boxes from hand painted murals to graffiti, neon and textiles
• Developed the brand and signage, as well as a marketing, PR and social plan
• Partnered with BBC Sounds and CBeebies who created soundscapes and playlists as well as a shed for younger children
• Launched to brilliant local and national press coverage and doubled footfall to MediaCityUK
Each box is an individual art installation with wireless connection to bespoke BBC Sounds mixes and
soundscapes, as well as a place to eat, drink and relax. There’s boxes that are hand painted with bold colours, sprayed with street art, covered in poems, illuminated with neon or UV and plenty of opportunities to get interactive.