I’m a copywriter and editor based in London. From web copy and social media content through to company brochures, billboards and brand campaigns, I write compelling copy to increase engagement, drive traffic, sell products and build brands. Formerly a senior writer at leading communication arts journal Creative Review, I have interviewed some of the biggest names in the creative community, contributed to numerous visual culture blogs and magazines, and have authored and edited books on diverse topics including guerrilla advertising, button badges, the design history of BMX bikes, and the story of how emoji emerged as a global cultural phenomenon. As a passionate communicator and creative, I love approaching a brief and generating ideas to engage a particular audience. I create approachable content that cuts through the hum of mediocrity and makes great ideas more potent and accessible. I’ve been freelancing for agencies and also working directly with brands as a creative copywriter, writing for social, ATL, CRM and internal comms for a host of clients. Recently I’ve worked with Engine Group, RPM, Because XM, Framestore, Colart, South Western Railway, London City Airport, Potato Head Family, Yo! Sushi and FINE+RARE. I have also worked on a host of self-initiated projects, many of them collaborative, that have taken various forms including exhibitions, monthly parties, food pop-ups, and limited edition products. My current gigs include working with wine company FINE+RARE to create a new stand-alone content platform in cahoots with creative director (and graphic design legend) Alan Aboud; and being a resident DJ at Birch (recently named by The Sunday Times as ‘Hotel of the Year 2020’). I also co-founded Amateurism Radio to bring good music and positive vibrations to our friends and family during lockdown. Tune in to what we’re doing at www.amateurism.co.uk.
- FINE+RARE podcastFINE+RARE approached myself and regular collaborator, Leo Walton, to do some Spotify playlisting for a project they were doing that would look to celebrate the 90th anniversary of iconic Lebanese winery, Chateau Musar. Leo and I jumped at the chance to work together on a music project with FINE+RARE, and as we started researching, we pitched the idea of putting together a podcast that would give a UK audience a real insight into music from Lebanon. The FINE+RARE podcast was born and for the
- FONDATA Issue OneI worked closely with creative director Alan Aboud (Aboud+Aboud) and publisher Patrick O’Connor (FINE+RARE), to develop FONDATA as a new platform to explore narratives adjacent to the worlds of fine wine and exceptional spirits. This inaugural FONDATA project takes the form of a beautifully designed, oversize journal that features essays and articles by some of the world’s most highly respected journalists, authors and academics – including Adam Gopnik, Deyan Sudjic, Dylan Jones, Geoff Dyer, Ni
- Amateurism RadioA big family of my friends are used to all connecting and hanging out over the summer schedule of festivals. When the UK went into lockdown in March, I was working with fellow Amateurism collective members Leo Walton, Rob Leggatt and Aymen Bensaad on a collaborative mix that we could release around the time Amateurism should have been DJing at The Beat Hotel festival in Morocco. With all the year’s live music events cancelled, we wondered if we could do something with our mix beyond simply loa
- #Company45SleevesInstagram project showcasing 7" records in their proper "company sleeves". When I first started collecting rockabilly, rhythm and blues and soul 45rpm records, I was DJing the records I bought several times a month and all I really cared about was the records themselves. However, now that I DJ much less frequently, I’ve become slightly obsessed with reuniting my favourite old records with the paper company sleeves they would have originally been issued in. In my quest to research what sleeve
- The Perfect £5 CheeseburgerSneaking it at No. 49 in the Observer Food Monthly’s 2020 list of "50 Things We Love In The World Of Food Right Now" (published 16 February) is the cheeseburger from the unassuming menu I designed for central London music venue, The Social, as a follow up to our Sonic Sandwich project. In many ways, the burger is a distillation of everything I learned from all my burger blogging and flipping endeavours – my take on the perfect nostalgia-inducing cheeseburger made with dry-aged beef from Nathan M
- Moanin' Workin' Groovin'In 2018, Olly Batho (aka DJ Bammo) was running a rather excellent website called Frisson where he posted a different record each day from his record collection as a way to articulate his impressively eclectic music taste. When he asked me to contribute to a mix series he was curating, it seemed like the perfect excuse to record an hour-long selection of jazz, rhythm and blues records and make some nice cover art.
+ View all
Projects credited in
- YO! Sushi brand rolloutIn September 2019, YO! Sushi underwent a major rebrand and the client asked myself and creative copywriter Gavin Lucas to create the definitive strategy, look, feel and tone of voice for YO!'s social channels in line with a new brand identity created by Zag, London. As a result of our close relationship with the client, we were asked to produce all kinds of collateral in the new brand look and feel along with their monthly social content – from menus, staff uniforms and product packaging, to in
- Headwater Travel BrochureHeadwater is a bespoke holiday company who specialises in walking and cycling holidays across the UK, Europe, the Mediterranean and Bermuda. Their holidays are tailor-made, and they focus on hand-picked accommodation and quality local cuisines. For their 2019-2020 Travel Brochure, the client was looking to completely redesign the look and feel of the brochure and make it feel more premium. The brief was to showcase their bespoke holidays, highlight the fantastic food and hand-picked accommodatio
- Editorial Content
- Culture Writing
- Brand Creation
- Publishing/editorial Background
- Brand Consultancy